johnson primer solenoid

denny

Cadet
On my controls, 89 70 h.p. I have to put in the key, turn the key to the first position, push in the key to choke before I show power to the primer sol.Is this correct?. Just putting in the key and pushing I show no voltage. The engine has to be turning over before the fuel pump pushes the fuel through the Sol. fuel lines. What should it do?.Anybody out there who can give me an answer?

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson primer solenoid

On my 1992 johnson 100hp, the key must be turned to the on position to power the solenoid. You don't have to be cranking for it to get power, but the key must be on.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I have a '89 88spl 'Rude. How does the solenoid prime the engine if it s not being cranked? I am under the impression that you push the key in before you crank it........what is the purpose of this? It doesn't seem to have an effect until you are cranking.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It may not have any effect when cranking if the starter happens to draw all the power.<br /><br />Heres how it works;<br />When you pump the bulb you create pressure in the fuel lines after the carbs are full. When you turn the key "on" and push in the key the primer solenoid releases gas into the motor. You then engage the starter and it should start almost instantly.<br /><br />Good luck!

FreeBeeTony

Captain

OK......That makes sense Dhadley.<br /><br />Thanks

denny

Cadet

Thanks for clearing this up for me,bought the motor used and wasn't told how it worked

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

so that is the proper way to start a johnson? with key and choke.. then crank. heh no wonder i was sitting at the launch crankin and crankin? i never pushed in that key. duh