johnson powertilt & trim question

aquasport175

Cadet
Every time I tilt down ,the motor shakes violently until it gets to the trim mode. When I'm running down the river the trim holds good for forward , but when I back up the motor kicks up . The trim unit was installed two months ago and I was told it would self bleed and stop doing this but it still doing it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson powertilt & trim question

You do not provide a year for that motor, but most PTT units are self bleeding, but you need to help them. Trim it all the way up. With the boat level, fill the PTT reservoir. Run the motor down and then back up. Now wait 5 minutes for all air to bubble out and refill. Repeat a few times and see if things improve. The PTT pivots are not binding, right?

aquasport175

Cadet

Chris1956, Sorry I haven't replied sooner , been working.As far as I know thier not binding, everything is greased. I tried pulling upward on the foot as I was tilting down and it stopped the bouncing , but as soon as I let upward pressure off, it starts bouncing agin. It's a 1996 150 johnson ocean runner. I'm not sure where to bleed the air or fill it up at and also do I close the fill before running it down and back up? Standing at the back of the motor looking foward there is what appears to be a resevoir on the right / stb. side that has about a 3/4" plastic cap with a screw in it facing aft about an inch down from the the top.I assume is the fill??? THANX AGIN AGIN FOR YOUR HELP

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

yes that is the fill. Follow my post and see if it improves.