Johnson Needs Help

Itec01

Cadet
Hi Guys'<br /><br />Itec again with a major problem.<br /> I have a Johnson seahorse 1959 18HP with electric start.<br /> I went to start it today and the starter gear did not engage.<br /> The threads that holds the stater motor broke.Three bolts hold it on; one on the air intake that ones good, one near the carb that entire piece broke off the to fo the block, and one on the side that one is stripped.<br />What are my options and is the motor junk now.<br /> I don't want to spend a arma nd a leg.<br /> I beliveve the piece that broke of is the piece that the valves mount on.<br /> Thanks :confused:

alcan

Commander
Re: Johnson Needs Help

Hi Itec<br />It's hard to see whats going on from here. You are saying the bolt holes in the block are broken off. The bracket that holds the starter and mounts to the block is ok. I think this could be welded. As far as the striped bolt hole that can be repaired also. The motor is not a total loss it can still be manualy started. I understand, I have a lot of friends and relitives that need elect start. You may have to do some disassembling, a good welder should be able to fix it right up.