Johnson Javelin 100HP water leaking

Mr.Mexican

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently service my old 1979 Johnson Javelin 100HP, water pump and thermostats were replaced. Everything looks good with this motor, runs good at idle and WOT. My only concern now is a water leak ( few droops) coming from the right bottom side of exhaust cover plate; is not like a big leak, but it?s still a leak. I?m thinking to replace the gaskets.

Questions:
Do I need to replace inner and outer gaskets?
Does anyone know the part number for these gaskets? I couldn?t find my model in the exploded Diagrams.
Does anyone know the torque specs or bolt tightening sequence to put the cover back on?
How can I know if my motor whether or not has a warning overheat buzzer?

Please see attached pic!

Best Regards,
Mr. Mexican

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2834.PNG
    IMG_2834.PNG
    378.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2836.PNG
    IMG_2836.PNG
    365.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Both gaskets need to be replaced.----Torque is 80 inch lbs.-------Warning horn is in the control box.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I'd re-route the telltale hose. Should run upward to the top of the block, then bend back down to the nozzle in the lower cowling. That way the block fills completely with water before the telltale starts. Make sure it is connected to that nozzle (it's a restrictor.)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Absolutely. Re-torque after running through a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Mr.Mexican

Cadet
Hello Gentlemen,

Finally I reassembly the exhaust cover and torque the bolts to 5 ft-lb. Yesterday I connected the flush muffs and the motor was running great, temperature was good on each head, no water leaking from the exhaust cover, good stream of water coming from the telltale (new impeller and thermostats). Suddenly, the water stop coming out from the telltale!!! I immediately stop the motor. I run the motor again and still no water coming out; I noticed that the exhaust cover was really hot ( 200 grades F), the heads were 180F so I decided to check the flush muffs looking for something that could clog but I didn?t find anything. I took the lower unit out and checked the water pump and it looked fine to me, the propeller was ok and the key was in the correct position. I will put the lower unit back today and see what happens. The only new modification that I did was to re-route the hose going to the telltale according to the comments I receive in this topic.

Any suggestions or thoughts will be appreciated.

God bless you.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If you temporarliy pull the telltale off the hose barb in the outer exhaust housing, do you get any water flow? Normally, I'd recommend you check the telltale hose to see if any debris is stuck in the lower cowling nozzle. But with your overheat, that's probably a different problem. I'd be surprised if the problem was with the exhaust covers. That's a pretty straightforward repair. I'd be concerned that you have no water coming from the telltale. The water flow originates from the impeller in the lower unit. Runs up the water tube through the exhaust adapter into the bottom of the block-and immediately out the telltale. The block may not even be full of water and you should be seeing water from the telltale. That's normal. The thermostats are on the back end of the flow system, just before the warm water exits down the midsection back into the lake. Even if the new stats are stuck closed, you should still see water from the telltale. Guess I'd still check the telltale hose to be sure it's clear. The other thing of note is the valve body inside the stat housing. That body has two pinholes in it. One for each stat. They permit a little hot water seep to the back of the stats so that they open. Those two pinholes must be open for the stats to work. Since they are so small on that early model crossflow, they can plug up easily. When they plug up, instant overheat on one/both heads. How did those pinholes look when you put the stats in? The heads should run normally 143-155 at idle in the lake.

Mr.Mexican

Cadet
Well, first of all I thank to emdsapmgr for the good advices.
I pretty much tried all that you guys have suggested me, I pulled the telltale off and no water came out from the exhaust cover; the pin holes looked good when I put the new stats in. The motor was in the lake after that and it was running great ( that?s when I found the leak in the exhaust cover). This problem started after I replaced the exhaust cover gaskets.

Yesterday I did some troubleshooting in the motor, I took out the lower unit and I put directly the garden water hose into the motor hose and the telltale immediately started to pee so I don?t think the block is clogged. Now I know the problem is in the lower unit, probably the water intake is clogged, I don?t know? when I checked the water pump everything was in the right place?

I?ll keep you guys informed.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Check to be sure the impeller key is still intact and in the correct position. Maybe the drive shaft is rotating, but the impeller is not....

Mr.Mexican

Cadet
Gentlemen,

Finally I've found the issue and fixed. I checked the key and it was broken, like you guys said, the shaft was rotating, but the impeller wasn't. The good thing is that now the water is running all the way to the telltale.

I have one more question for you guys, there is oil coming out from the midsection or exhaust housing of the motor, to be honest, I don't a clue where this oil is coming from, please see pics attached.

Let me your thoughts.

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3273.PNG
    IMG_3273.PNG
    323.8 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That's not oil, or should not be. That area is the lower bearing for the swivel bracket. There is an upper bearing also. Those two bearings should be greased periodically. The grease zurk is located midway up the swivel bracket. Squirting grease in there will do both the upper and lower bearing. The type of grease you use is important. If the prior owner greased with a regular automotive ball joint grease, it's not waterproof. Once in the water, that grease will start to dissolve and may appear in the form you describe. You need to use a marine (waterproof) grease. That type grease will hot dissolve in water.