Johnson J90PLSIF Sleeve Question

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A buddy of mine has the motor in the thread title that has a bad cylinder. As in cracked sleeve bad cylinder. The other cylinders/pistons look good so it may be worth repariing IF the block, crank, etc are serviceable. I'm not real familliar with the 60 degree V4s but did rebuild my '95 crossflow 115 with no issues.

I was looking for a sleeve to get an idea of cost and couldn't find one that matches that motor. I found a listing on Advanced Sleeve for a sleeve for a '95 to '99 V4 and one for a '99 to '01 V4 Ficht motor. This motor is a carbureted '01 model so I'm wondering if I'm wanting the '95 to '99 sleeve or if the Ficht sleeve is the same as the the one for the carbureted motor.

Any guidance on which sleeve (or another vendor that lists a sleeve for this particular model) I need would be appreciated. I looked here on iBoats but the selection only goes up to '93 or I'd just order from here.

Thanks!

Branden

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson J90PLSIF Sleeve Question

First this is not a DIY project also what length sleeve will you need to replace it? Is it port or starboard? The Advance sleeve series you will need is 1098 and add P or S for side and SA or SB for length. Example: a sleeve measuring 3.800 in length for port side would be a 1098PSA

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You're absolutely right about the DIY part - I already called the machine shop that did the (excellent) work on my motors that I rebuilt and they'll do the resleeve for $150. I'll be helping in the dissassembly/reassembly of the motor, not the sleeving. I'll leave that up to the machine shop.

It's starboard side bottom. I should know the cylinder # but I don't off the top of my head. As soon as my shop manual for it gets here I'll finish tearing it down and pull the cylinder length, port heghts, etc. on the sleeves. Thanks for the P/N, I was wondering if the bore/stroke on the 60 degree v4 blocks was the same across multiple HP ratings like it was for the 90 degree blocks so that answers that question. Thank you very much for the info and quick reply!

Branden

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Have the block pressure tested before doing any work.....

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Faztbullet, do I take in the complete powerhead or go ahead and strip it and take the bare block in to have it tested? I'm assuming the pressure check is to make sure there are no cracks in the block casting itself.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Take in a stripped block......

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks man! I'll see if the machine shop can do it and if not I'll have the local Evinrude dealer check it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'd hate to put $250 worth of labor and parts into having a bad casting sleeved.