Johnson Ignition Switch 3 Position Magneto - Corroded Quickly??

HS91_Mike

Seaman
I replaced my ignition switch about a year ago with a Sierra 3-position Magneto Ignition Switch with the Push to choke feature. It will freely turn to the On and Off positions, but sticks badly trying to get it turn into the START position. You have to jiggle it, push it, almost break off the key in it and hold your mouth just right. Which really means when you're offshore, hold your breath and pray the d@mn thing will crank. The switch is 12-14 months old. The part is mostly polyester or plastic. I am replacing it now, but was concerned if this is normal maintenance/use cycle to be expected for this part??

Is there alternative part with a better reputation or should I apply some type of corrosion prevention into the keyhole intitially or expect this as the status quo for this part?? Mike :facepalm:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Ignition Switch 3 Position Magneto - Corroded Quickly??

That switch should last just about forever UNLESS you're actually turning the hose on it when washing the rig down.

HS91_Mike

Seaman

That is kinda what I thought. It's on the center console and certainly exposed to the elements, like most small pleasure/fishing boats. This boat is used in a salt/brackish water environment and the switch is exposed 100% of the time. Would spraying some WD-40 or other lubricating and penetrating product into the key hole hurt anything? Would it help? I'm concnerned that I purchased an infereior product, and for $5 more I could have purchased something that should last "forvever".

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

WD-40 would hurt.... Would it help? Probably not now. Better built a cover for that switch.

HS91_Mike

Seaman

Maybe so. Sounds look a good use for an extra beer cap. Thanks:)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If that switch is mounted in a vertical or near vertical position, you will continue to have probs if not coverd up or the switch is moved to a different location.