Johnson foot

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was just wondering on a 1984 Johnson 90hp is there a gasket between the foot and the leg of the motor?If so could you get water intrusion in your LU from here? Im still chasing the water intrusion problem on this motor.I changed the "O" rings at the vent and LU fill the new ones didnt fit the screws real tight like I would think they would. But today when I went to check the foot oil after changing the oil and "O" rings the oil was whit and milky,but water didnt pour out this time like the last but, Im still kinda stumped.Im not seeing any oil coming from behind the prop like last year when the prop seal went out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson foot

Drive shaft seal and shift shaft seal are possibilities for water intrusion.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Unless the fill and vent screws were changed by someone, those are supposed to be flat nylon washers, not 0-rings. Part number is 311598.

D

DJ

No gasket there. That whole cavity is the exhaust housing. It will be full of water and exhaust, while running.

As mentioned, the driveshaft seal and shift rod seal may be suspect. I wouldn't do anything until I changed the fill/drain plug seals.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My question is how hard are they to change my diagram looks like the shift rod seal is just like a gasket..Also how about the prop shaft seal is it a tuff job to?But I was wondering to if the prop shaft seal was damaged would there be noticable oil loss around the prop area?
Im hoping to be able to do this repair myself as all the marinas around here are booked up for the next month and it time for me to be out catching fish..

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There is a gasket on the shift rod cover, but the shift rod seal is an o-ring. The seal is in the cover. You can pry it loose with a small awl. I usually put the new seal in oily and bent, with two pieces of dowel, one from the top and one from the bottom.

You should pull the bearing carrier to get to the seals on the driveshaft. If that comes off OK, the rest is pretty simple - just put the new seals in back to back. I have not had to do that often, it is usually the shift rod seal or the drain/fill washers.

I would not do any of the seals except the fill and vent without first doing a pressure and vacuum test to see where the leak is - total waste of time otherwise.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ezek,
What is a easy way to do a vaccum and pressure test at home.Also I will have to go ahead and pull the LU for these right?
Do ya think I should pull the prop and check and make sure there isnt a cut or anything in the prop shaft seal or would I even be able to see it?
Im sorry to sound so stupid but im trying to learn to take care of my own boat,I can work on cars all day long.I ordered me a Seloc manual last night so hopefully I will end up with yalls help and the book figuring these things out..
Thank ya for your help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You can do a basic pressure test without removing the unit; Drain the gear lube and pump the empty unit to 10 to 12 PSI. The unit should hold that pressure steady for 20 minutes.​

If it does not hold the pressure, remove the unit and pump it up again and submerge it, so that you can see where the leak is.​

The electric tire pumps with a guage can hold the pressure while you wait, but you will need a fitting. I used to use the fitting off a Lubrimatic Lube-Tube and that was perfect.​

I use a MityVac 04050 so that I can do the vacuum test as well, but they are pricey and you need a factory service manual more right now.​

Ace hardware stores can get the lube tube for you or you can get it here at iboats: ACE# 86228 MFR# 55008. BTW, The 55008 is the correct one.​

http://www.iboats.com/Lubrimatic_Lu...34158046--list_time.1200346547--view_id.47669