Johnson FD20 intake screen plug removal

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While in the process of replacing water pump on FD20 I noticed the intake screen is smashed in. What is the process to remove the intake screen plug?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Unless it is totally destroyed, consider just leaving it alone. Lots of them are working just fine with the screen bent in. But the procedure to remove it is to drill a hole in the plug and tap threads in it. Then use a bolt to yank it out. Of course you will have to plug the hole you made or install a new plug.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks F_R. After further investigation thermostat is corroded and stuck barely open allowing minimal flow. Will install a new thermostat and new impeller. Impeller housing is cast aluminum. I cleaned it up with fine sandpaper (minor corrosion pit marks but not indented into housing). Should I use a gasket sealer above and or below impeller plate?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Should use some sealer under the plate, not necessary between plate and pump housing. Note that there is an angled hole between the pump outlet (just below the grommet) and the cup surrounding the drive shaft. That hole keeps the cup filled with water, preventing drawing air through the hole the drive shaft passes through.