Johnson clutch dog

bailz2002

Cadet
I have a 78 johnson 25 that i got earlier this year and i believe the clutch dog is going bad. sometimes, normally when first started and put in gear, upon giving it throttle if feels like it slips or wants to jump out of gear. I have no idea what kind of maintenance has been done on the motor so i wanted to change it.

Problem is where can i find one??
i am having trouble even finding a part number
any help would be apreciated

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson clutch dog

If you need a clutch dog, you will also need a new fwd gear as well.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Clutch dogs jump and / or grind. Propeller hubs slip like a clutch (no jumping or grinding.) Mounting too high on the transom causes ventilation (propeller in an air pocket) when taking off.

Diagnose the problem before tearing into it.

bailz2002

Cadet

thanks and sorry about not having manual. also thanks for pointing out the difference in problems. no grinding just like a big slip then fine. the motor is a little high on the transom put it as low as it will go. have motor on an old 15' bomber fiberglass bass boat and cavitation plate is like an inch or so above the bottom of the boat. dont think the boat was really made for that small of a motor. but lake restrictions are kinda limiting me.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Bad clutch dog , when it releases is like hitting a log at speed. "Slipping" is almost always a spun prop hub. Very easy to be sure ... make a make with an indelible marker across then inner hub to the outer prop hub (in line across the buna pressed hub). If the lines move relative to each other after running under load, you need to get the prop rehubbed by a prop shop.