Johnson Bombardier ID stickers marked out

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
The model, serial and everything else on the sticker has been marked out, apparently by machine. I just got this motor for $400, and I'm sure it was a really good score, but I want to know everything I can about how to take care of it, and stay out of trouble, so I need to ID it. I've just never seen a manufacturer fill in all the ID stcker information fields with loops.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson Bombardier ID stickers marked out

There should also be a serial and model number on welch plugs under the hood. They will be attached to the block I would see if they are still there.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you, hidef, it says H9514180. Where can I get an owner's manual, or at least a description of the controls? I never had a real outboard before, and not knowing it won't staryt unless the pointer on the throttle is lined up with that symbol was a nuisance. I gotta wonder what else I don't know that may bite me.

hidef

Lieutenant

That is the serial # H9514180 there should be one more plug with the model number. Looking at your photo though and because you didn't give the horsepower i would say it is 2004 6 horse 4 stroke. I suspect your number is either J6R4SRC or J6RL4SRC L-is for long shaft.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How hot was the mtr when you got it, could you touch it?? LOL.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

It was apparently one of those deals where the inebriated wife is divorcing her already thrown out of the house soon to be ex, and wanted to see all sign of him gone. My boy was happy to help in her hour of need. We are going straight to he77, but I hope it's only after a long, and 6hp propelled life. Why does the knob at the end of the tiller seem to screw, as though it adjusting something? I notice that after it's run a while, there is oil draining out of the air intaks screen on the carb. It's making me a little nervous. The pee hole on the starboard side only seems to drool water. I let it idle for 15 or so in the can, shot the top end with the IR gun, it was 135 degrees. How will I know if the pump is going?

levi_tsk

Ensign

135 is good ... if not a little on the cool side of things ...
that knob either ajusts the drag on the throttle or the idle speed i think.. - my bet is on the throttle friction though
as far as oil in the intake i dont know ... im not familiar with four strokes HOWEVER if you dont keep the motor on the boat how do you lay it down? or do you keep it upright...
position matters on these because theres oil in the crankcase and it CAN leak out and into the carb(theres a vent for it in the airbox) if you lay it down the wrong way...
and ive heard it can make them do all kinds of stupid stuff when it does

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

My boy called me before he brought it over, to ask how he should lay it the truck. (I was really impressed with that). I told him they usually didn't mind being laid prop down, and if he saw lugs on the back of the power head, they were probably to rest on. This motor has rubber bumpers back there, and a fold out handle kind of inside/below the transom clamps. I also said not to let the prop get above the engine, for fear of water running in there, and ruining our lives. I don't know how the guy that brought it to him carried it, though. OH CRAP! It just occurred to me that I lay it on it side in the boat to haul it all to the creek! I'm the jackazz that's screwing this up. I hate these little moments..... Thank you, gentlemen.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you do lay it down, lay it on it's port side.

levi_tsk

Ensign

you probably didnt hurt anything but dont be surprised if you foul out a couple sets of plugs for the next few trips out let it rest upright for few days while youre not using it and clean out the oil in the airbox and you should be fine
does it have a bowl drain on the carb? if so you might wanna open it and make sure no oil got in there and also check the oil level

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Store it upright as mentioned before. For transporting you usually lay them down on the tiller handle side. Should also be a sticker indicating which way.

Get it wrong though and you'll find that the oil can and will leak in places where it normally doesn't. Worst case is to fill up the cylinder with oil and hydrolock it.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I have at least been storing right side up. Of the 4 or 5 times I've taken it out, I have only laid it on the life vests starboard side down, once. That knob on the end of the throttle grip seems to set the minimum idle speed, and to adjust throttle resistance, there's collar on the tiller. I think I just got really lucky, as I now see a wonderful pee stream when it's running. Beautiful motor. Once again, thanks, guys.