Johnson 88 spl cold starting procedure?

Tinman57

Seaman
What is a good cold-starting procedure for a 1996 Johnson 88 spl? On cold starts the motor usually starts ok, but runs only a second or two before dying. I have to repeatedly squeeze the bulb and push the key in. For the rest of the day, the motor will start instantly.

My fuel system is simple consisting of 12 and 6 gallon portable tanks, standard fuel hose and bulb. Tank vent is open.

My normal procedure is to pump the bulb until hard, raise the fast idle lever all the way, push the key in for about 8 seconds then crank the engine. From there it is a flurry of squeezing the bulb, pushing the key in, and recranking as the motor sputters and dies and restarts and sputters and dies and finally starts. There must be a better way. Any ideas?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 88 spl cold starting procedure?

Are you turning the key to the ON position before you push it in for 8 seconds? It sounds like you are not getting a good prime on the engine. Have you verified that the primer selenoid is operating? You should hear it click when the key is pushed in when turned on. Not sure if that engine has quickstart or not. Other will know...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have an 88 spl. pump bulb, idle lever up, key to on, push key for 8 count, release key and start. if not start, key in and start. then you have to bump the key a couple of times till the engine settles.

Tinman57

Seaman

Thank you gentlemen, I was probably pushing the key in without turning it during my pre-prime count. I will also check to hear the click of the primer solenoid.

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just read the part about HOLDING THE KEY IN FOR 8 SECONDS...I had no idea you had to do that.
I have a 1992 90 HP VRO and have been having a lot of trouble starting it...I have been pushing in the key and releasing it and "bumping it" over and over...even the first start of the day. Needless to say that may be the problem.
I thought that I was just closing the choke butterfly for a moment and causing a rich mixture and assumed (!) that the choke disengaged as soon as I stopped pressing in on the key. I guess that holding the key in BEFORE turning it to start pumps a prime shot into the carb throat.
Can someone that knows for sure chime in and confirm the "right way" to start these engines please.

TD..I just read the procedure..thanks....is it the same for my engine?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

TF, the procedure for starting your engine is as follows. Pump up the fuel primer bulb until firm. Raise the fast idle lever about half way. Turn the key to the ON position and push in the key for a count of five. Turn the key to start. It should fire right over. Lower fast idle lever to idle speed or just above. You may need to bump the key in a couple of times until it smooths out. Pumping up the primer bulb is a must before this procedure, as it builds pressure in the fuel line and when you push in on the key, the fuel is forced into the cylinders when the primer valve opens. This is used for cold starting only or after sitting for some time...

Big_Squeeze

Recruit

Just got back from the big water with my 88 Johnson spl. Thought I was having problems till I read these postings. I do have a question however. I have a loose wire from under the engine to be more exat it is located at the engine mounting pivet point where the stearing arm is bolted. I do know one end of this wire goes to the transum mount. Is this just a ground wire and can I attach to an existing bolt from under the engine?