johnson 82 35hp water pump change

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys
I offered to help my friend replace his water pump on his electric start 35hp Johnson Motor, j35elcnd. We had to leave the boat and motor on a rural property so i just took the leg back home with me. The main problem was that i could not work out how to release the shift level and left the water pump housing behind after disconnecting the shift level at the water intake covers. Questions are as following
1, How do i drop the shift lever to make reassembly easier
2, does the impellor slide down the drive shaft on reassembly, seems to be a one way impellor, or should it be 180dg the other way
3, the heads of the gbox bolts are rusty, the shanks look fine but should these be replaced also
4, should i replace the drive shaft seals while i have the chance, they look ok and are not leaking.

At this stage i am going to order the upper and lower water pump plate gaskets, impellor and key, water pump grommet, orings for the water pump tube, 2 drain hole washers, and am unsure on the drive shaft seals and gearbox to exhaust housing bolts. If i am missing anything please let me know, thanks.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: johnson 82 35hp water pump change

Thanks for the info, i never would have worked that bit out by myself.
What is your opinion about changing the drive shaft seals and the gearbox to exhaust housing bolts

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And any info on how the impellor goes on, seems to be meant to only fit in 1 direction as the key is a wierd shape and the impellor can only be slid over the key from either the top or the bottom.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

And any info on how the impellor goes on, seems to be meant to only fit in 1 direction as the key is a wierd shape and the impellor can only be slid over the key from either the top or the bottom.

Not sure what you mean. The impeller should have a notch in it and the key is a roll pin. You remove the old impeller making sure not to lose the pin, put some grease on the pin and "stick it" to the notch cut out on the drive shaft. Slide the new impeller down the shaft until it seats flat against the bottom pump plate, the key goes into the impeller notch. I put some grease on the inside cup of the pump housing with my finger where the blades make contact. Slide the pump housing back down till it rests on the top of the impeller, as you push down on the pump housing turn the driveshaft clockwise by hand until the housing seats with the impeller inside of it, bolt it back together and test. Put some grease in the grommet that the water tube slides into , it will aid in reassembly.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The impellor key is shaped like a piece of pie that is stretched at one end (the crust end) so can only fit the impellor 1 way. The impeller can push down over this key but can go no further as the impeller only has the key groove cut 9/10s of the way through. Hard to explain, may go and take a photo now.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pic 1, key way on impellor
pic 2, other side of key showing it can not go either way
pic 3, key

Attachments

• Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sounds like some sort of aftermarket key, part# 0300611 which comes with the kit is what they are calling for, it's described as a dowel which it just a piece of rolled stock cut to fit. Post a pic if you can.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

pic 1, key way on impellor
pic 2, other side of key showing it can not go either way
pic 3, key

Never have I seen a key in a water pump that look like that. Post a pic of the new impeller if you can.

jasper60103

Commander

Never have I seen a key in a water pump that look like that. Post a pic of the new impeller if you can.

BK,
this surprised me too, but this the new style impeller key and it comes with the OEM waterpump kit.

edit:

poida,
yes, the impeller slides over the key. Put some grease on the key to help it stick to the drive shaft while you slide the impeller over it. FYI. It took me a while to get in place.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, im more than happy to post a pic of the new impelller. Should i order the drive shaft seals and gearcase to exhaust housing bolts at the same time??? I want to order it all in one hit to save on freight.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

BK,
this surprised me too, but this the new style impeller key and it comes with the OEM waterpump kit.

Well that pump in the pic is the old one by the looks of it. If that's how they are then I would imagine the open side of the impeller notch goes downward to allow it to seat over that strange man made looking stock. Nice to see that BRP is calling it what it isn't, a Dowel, which is the old way of doing things. That's no dowel in my books, looks like a piece of a puzzle.
:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yeah, im more than happy to post a pic of the new impelller. Should i order the drive shaft seals and gearcase to exhaust housing bolts at the same time??? I want to order it all in one hit to save on freight.

Sure if you want to change them as a precaution, it's just $$$. If the new impeller is the same as the old one then you shouldn't have an issue reinstalling it but it sounds as if something is different in this case.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you order the impeller it is called impellor and key 0395289, unsure now if i just need to order this or order the dowel as well.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If you order the impeller it is called impellor and key 0395289, unsure now if i just need to order this or order the dowel as well.

I doubt it as the impellor would come with a key according to your description. Is the pump housing in good shape?

jasper60103

Commander

The impeller and key comes with part#0388702

BRP IMP & KEY
Replacement [0395289]
OMC BRP ETec Johnson Evinrude IMP & KEY
OEM Part 0388702