Johnson 55 1969 Alternator or Charging System?

smoothop

Recruit
Hi guys i just recently bought a 17 foot boat with a Johnson 55 motor. The year of it is 1969.

I need to know if there is a charging mechanism on this motor and how to use it. The owner told me there is but i cant seem to find the alternator on the engine or figure out how to use it.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

smoothop

Recruit
Re: Johnson 55 1969 Alternator or Charging System?

nobody knows anything about this model =/ ?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The charging system is under the flywheel, and as long as it is functioning properly requires no input from you.

smoothop

Recruit

ok awesome, thanks for the quick response, so when i hook the started up to the battery it charges it through the starters wires?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

A question and then bumped within an hour. Patience is a virtue you know.

The parts lists indicate that this model does have a 9 amp stator coil and a rectifier. Parts #57 and #43 respectively in This diagram

If you monitor the battery volts you should, if all is well, see the volts rise from 12.whatever to 14 ish when the battery is recharged and, because it is not a regulated rectifier, continue to rise higher than that, higher even than you might expect.
If this does not happen check the connections to the stator, the rectifier and to the solenoid. If all appears well then you can check the rectifier by following Joe Reeves' instructions on the Engine Frequently Asked Questions board. BUT if you use a digital meter use the "diode test" setting rather than one of the ohms ranges

smoothop

Recruit

ok thank you very very much, to be charging the battery what needs to be connected to the battery. Just the plugs for the starter? I am completely new to this so thanks again!