Johnson 50hp - 1985 - Wet Gearcase

Matt1

Recruit
Hi, <br />Have just bought a Johnson 50hp from 85. The guy selling it to me tells me some water gets into the gearcase. It´s been noticed last couple of times when he´s changed the oil, that it is sort of "milky" and clear, obviously water. What should I do ? Is there any immediate danger ? Should I replace something or is it normal that some water gets in ? Second question. Do I have to do anything else if I wish to mix oil with the gas directly ? Do I need to bypass the VOR or remove it ? <br /><br />Please I need help in these issues.<br />Best Regards from Sweden, Europe.<br /><br />Matt

outboardboy

Cadet
Re: Johnson 50hp - 1985 - Wet Gearcase

It is not narmal for water to get in the gearcase, you could change the oil more often as this will prolong the life of the gears, but you should have the leaking seals fixed before the gears and bearings fall apart(as it is only a matter of time). You can just disconnect the part of the vro that supplies the oil as the other part is your fuel pump, and run 50to1.

Matt1

Recruit
Re: Johnson 50hp - 1985 - Wet Gearcase

Outboardboy<br /><br />Thanks for the info. I read somewhere when disconnecting the oil part of the VRO, some modification has to be done regarding the fuel pump part ??? Don´t know if this is at all true, as I don´t know too much about this. I just want to make sure, nothing breaks when I put the motor in the drink.