Johnson 35HP Magneto Explodes!?!?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 35HP Magneto Explodes!?!?

True that the proper torque "should" keep those bolts tight BUT notice when those bolts are removed from a new engine (first time removal), the threads are coated with a coloring which appears to be Loc-Tite.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're gonna use Loc-Tite, use the 'BLUE'. The RED needs heat to be loosened, whereas the blue just needs regular tools to loosen, yet will hold bolts and such in place.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhhh yes. The 320, versus the 640. Good point:D

mnsherick

Cadet

Well I put it all back together with red loc-tite I firgured I don't want it coming apart again...

then today I took it out, and it started rattling and running erratic again, throttle kept pulling back I had to hold the trottle at about 25% and make sure I didn't move it to get back to the boat docks.

sucks to be me, duck boat always breaks down during the season and runs great in the spring...

Going to tear it down on friday or saturday and see if/what has come loose/apart again.

-Matt

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This will probably be one of the most dumbest questions you've ever been asked, but which way did you lay the flywheel down on your bench when you had it off ?

jbjennings

Captain

Well I put it all back together with red loc-tite I firgured I don't want it coming apart again...

-Matt

ugggghh! At least those are hopefully in an area that should be easy to heat. Why not just use the blue as suggested????? Blue does a good job.....
Good luck with your motor either way,
JBJ

mnsherick

Cadet

ugggghh! At least those are hopefully in an area that should be easy to heat. Why not just use the blue as suggested????? Blue does a good job.....
Good luck with your motor either way,
JBJ

I had it back together and running long before anyone replied and suggested the blue...

it's ok all came apart clean and back together fine.

This will probably be one of the most dumbest questions you've ever been asked, but which way did you lay the flywheel down on your bench when you had it off ?

bottom side up...no I didn't leave anything stuck to the magnets...

So I took it all apart and found the stator screws backed out, these are the only ones I didn't lock-tite on the first re-assembly. I almost did but I saw the lock washers...what a joke!!

Now they are secure and its running great we will see after a few times out.

-Matt

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The only reason I asked Matt is because I've seen techs lay the flywheel down the wrong way and they pick up those pieces that cause probs again like you've been fighting. Glad you found it.

jbjennings

Captain

Glad to hear she's running right! Those screws backing out is really weird..
JBJ

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Which way is a flywheel supposed to sit when not on a motor?

I have one sitting right side up (as it would sit normally on a motor) on my workbench, while I'm rebuilding my Johnson 6 HP. Is this the wrong way?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It should be sitting bottom side up. Parts and pieces are known to collect on a bench and if they are not bottom side up the magnets have been known to collect them and if you don't check the magnets before installing the flywheel you can have a "crunch". But what the heck, I only learned this the hard way about 40 yrs ago.

mnsherick

Cadet

I'm happy to say after my hunting trip on friday it ran great took it for about a 4 mile run.

It's also running better than it has in the past.

-Matt

bdstacey

Seaman Apprentice

More importantly are you killin or huntin. I'm down to paddle power due to breakdown myself