.Johnson 30hp 1986 troubled!!!!

kyong1

Seaman Apprentice
:cool:This engine turn me off today after a struggle yesterday inshore. I had pulled started it and ran with it until it died and tow in two miles.
It seems that I had several problems before three time to be exact and go to either change something in the engine. This time I dacided to move along and go for that 19 footer Sea Hunt 2008, from a 14 boston whaler< However I would like to get this one fix for the last time....
Any suggession will be appreicate
Thanks,
1986 johnson 14.4 ft whaler 30hp
opag07
:cool::facepalm:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: .Johnson 30hp 1986 troubled!!!!

Go for the basics on a mtr. It has to have ignition,compression, fuel and exhaust to make it run. All those areas will have to be checked out one at time.

kyong1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks
I rope it and it started after a few pulls however, clicks at a year old started replaced less then one year ago. Could it be the starter again or solonoid?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

More likely is starter power wiring. Make sure all primary wire is in good condition, terminations clean and tight. Check grounds as well. Of course, all this assumes a fully charged battery.

If you don't have an OEM shop manual, now would be a good time if you plan to do work on the motor.

opag07

Seaman Apprentice

I thing Ive got to much caRbon built up.......change head gasket soon. psi 4o and 15psi on pistonopih 013.jpgopih 014.jpgopih 015.jpgopih 017.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

i think you want to start a new thread, and then be specific about what you are asking, what motor and what you want to do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

We have no idea what happened. Won't run is pretty vague. Running until it quit is not saying much. Was it out of gas? Did it lose spark, did it overheat? Did it quit like you turned off the key or did it sputter then die. Did it suck the primer bulb flat? Any fuel fittings leaking? Fuel filters changed? Carbs dirty. There are a number of threads that indicate troubleshooting procedures when MY MOTOR WON'T RUN. Use the Search feature. A bad starter or solenoid does not make an engine die. It will prevent it from starting again because the engine won't crank. It will not stop the engine from running if you rope start it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

From the looks of your last pic it looks like you got some bad troubles in cyl # 1. Alum is seperated from the cyl sleeve. Again, start a new thread.