Johnson 30 good for a Project?

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi ya all!

I can put my hands on this m otor and I ask for any opinion of you guys and a little help to know year of this one.

I know that it sat many years, and as it is 200 mi. away, assuming it turns, could be this worth bring back to life? are parts still available? are they expensive? The guy who has it is asking $300-400 for it..should I go for it? I have a 16 ft fiberglass with a 115 johnny, and I was thinking if this could be used as a trolling motor for this boat, or it is too heavy...any input will be very much appreciated! Cheers!DSC02607.jpgDSC02608.jpgDSC02609.jpgDSC02610.jpgDSC02611.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson 30 good for a Project?

These are great motors, but in the condition that I see, it's worth about $75 to $100. You can get good running one for $200 to $300 and thats one that is tuned and ready to go. Won't have to touch it for at least a couple years.

Not a bad looking motor pictured, but there's a safe bet that it needs the igntion, carb and lower unit gone through and you could be into it for a couple hundred more bucks, if you do it yourself.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. Those are much loved and much sought after motors. It would make a great restoration project they still make factory paint and decals, or you can just use it a nice running, everyday motor. Routine parts are still pretty easy to find and affordable also. Assuming the compression is ok ( over 80 psi and cylinders within 10% of each other), I say go for it. There are tons of folks here that can help you when/if you need it. These links should help. Keep us posted. Good luck!

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't even consider that motor for that price. I saw one identical to that one on Craigslist for $50 today.
Since your in Mexico outboards are probably expensive and hard to get. I would wait until your in L.A. or San Diego and find something that's priced fair.
30 Hp is really too large for your boat as a trolling motor. You could get by with a 8-15 hp motor.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

That motor is a 1956 30 hp. It might be a good motor, but the asking price is waaaaaay too much. The starter is a 6 volt system and it will also require a two-line pressure fuel tank...which does not appear to be part of the deal.

Also, too much motor for a troller!

Unless you can get the guy down in price and have another use for it, I'd pass!

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also, as a troller besides being way too big, it will smoke too much at 24:1 fuel/oil mix at extended low rpms and probably foul the plugs often.

Find a different motor for your stated purpose.

Mas

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! Thank you all for the input. I really love to work on ob?s but after hearing all advices, the purpose for it and price, I think I?ll pass.

Maybe I can lower the price but the fuel tank issue is more to consider a no on it. Well, this great forum do its job again! Thank you friends, I will start looking for a 10 or 15 as my troller, really have no use for this one then! And another not to...24:1! man! if my 50:1 really likes to smoke sometimes I can imagine the seasick you can get in that kind of smoke when trolling!! LOL..

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Your boat is only 16' A 5hp will be plenty. You already have a bunch of weight on the rear with 115 horses. What is that boat rated for?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, 5 or 6 hp is all you need for a trolling motor on a 16ft boat. You need to keep the weight down.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here?s a pic of my boat...do not know max HP to it, but I think that mine has like 15 gone for age ..LOL! so it is really like a 100!

Runs top speed 28 MPH loaded..4, ice chests, gear....at 4500 ..no need to WOT on it (here it enters overpowered, right?)

At port side of transom it has a troller motor bracket, and I used to have a same year (1981) 7.5 johnny (it?s little brother)..that I?ve sold with my alluminum 10 ft boat...(Now I wish i didn?t) but you know, time...space...yelling wife...have to go....and now here I am looking for a troller....got any near Mazatlan or San Blas? 7-15 hp? isool en su lugar.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice boat. :D Yea, a 115 looks about right for that. I have a 15 1/2' aluminum boat, but it's has a 35 johnson and kickers will range in the 2 1/2 - 5 1/2 horsepower range.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hank you guys! I?ll pass on this one...Now, In the same channel...what about this one??
15J.jpg15J1.jpg15J2.jpg

As always, guys says "low hours", "works fine", etc. As is not close to home, have no way to really know. He?s asking around $ 900. How much do I offer? I have to say that I?m a Johnny enthusiast and fall right in! But holding my horses and thinking a bit, that?s why I humbly ask for your wisdom here...I asked the guy for model and serial...will wait for it but if anyone recognizes the year meantime....Cheers!!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Wow...motors are expensive in your neck of the wood!

Mas

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

$900 for this motor is a better deal then the last motor. Is this motor a 9.9 or 15hp? Do you have to pay for shipping? I would offer around $700 and see what he says. That outboard is probably a 90's model. I don't recognize the colors or cowling stickers so it was probably sold in some other country besides the U.S. which probably isn't a big deal. It does look different then outboards made for the U.S. because ours doesn't have the open space between the lower cowl and the transom clamp. The motor block and components look the same.
Do you need a long shaft outboard for your boat? That one is a short shaft.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Heck, I would come up in the U.S. and but one. There are deals to be had up here.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a 15 hp, seller states that is a 99, but yet he does not send model and serial...will try to ask again and then post it guys..

...short shaft will do ok...thanks!!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking it was much older than '99...

Mas

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

From the looks of the motor I'd guess it to be around a early 1980's or older,as it still has the old style prop on it, only worth about 500.00 around here in top running shape. I've got a newer Evenrude 9.9, with thru hub exhust, that I've been trying to sell for 400.00 for over a year now and haven't. Cann't belive the price of things south of the boarder.

Best of Luck,
Oldman570

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Get a model and serial number to confirm year and HPs.

Mas