Johnson 20R71S 20 HP

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Picked this engine up for a song. Sat for 4 years. I got it started ran a while then stopped. I believe because I didn't have gas can vented. My question is If you got this engine what would be the first thing? Check Points, coil, condensors? Carb?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Install a new water pump impeller.-----Install a complete seal kit in the lower unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.----If I was going to use a 50 year old motor as my primary fishing motor I would install a seal kit.-----If you are fixing it to run so you can sell it then no.------Most buyers think that if a motor barks and roars then there is nothing that needs attention !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Well heck, I'll argue a little. Install a new impeller, and drain the gearcase. While the l.u. is off, pressure test the gearcase with 5 or 6 lbs of pressure. Check for leaks with some soapy water in a spray bottle. Repair as needed.

Get an open air spark tester (cheap at an auto parts store), and test for spark. If the coil casings are cracked, however, replace them.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My experience with any late 50s thru 70s OMC magnetos is that the coils are cracked and not good or have been replaced.
I have an 1971 18 HP Evinrude, I just rebuilt but still can't get to run right. I will switch out Magneto or Points, coil and condessors

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I would replace the wires as well (7mm with wire core).

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Think I would replace the wires as well (7mm with wire core).
Ok I will order those, but I will just switch over the Points, coil, and condensors from the other motor,. I believe the components are compatible or it might be easier to switch out magneto plate

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Consider switching assembled ignition plates at least for testing purposes, if compatible. (good idea)

Last edited:

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
was not able to confirm -- sorry.
Well I got a surprise when I took the flywheel off the Evinrude that I completely rebuilt and I think I figured out why it is not running right. Look at what happened to the new coils. i must not have tucked the wires away good enough. Can this be repaired or do I need to order new ones? Part number? Do you have a picture of what the wires are supposed to look like tucked awayD5288E32-30B8-4287-B196-EE3357F79CEE.jpeg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
2 options maybe 3

• liquid tape... 2 coats or 3 and tuck away the wires
  • remove the terminal (squeeze and uncrimp it) slide one 2 layers of heat shrink tubing one layer at a time.. reinstall a new terminal ....tuck away the wires
  • just wrap it with electrical tape... not my favorite and...tuck away the wires

if wires look cut to much resplice (solder) a new 2 inches of wire and install heat shrink tubing and... tuck away the wires

should be fine to go after

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 options maybe 3

• liquid tape... 2 coats or 3 and tuck away the wires
  • remove the terminal (squeeze and uncrimp it) slide one 2 layers of heat shrink tubing one layer at a time.. reinstall a new terminal ....tuck away the wires
  • just wrap it with electrical tape... not my favorite and...tuck away the wires

if wires look cut to much resplice (solder) a new 2 inches of wire and install heat shrink tubing and... tuck away the wires

should be fine to go after
I will try