Johnson 1955 CD-12 Ignition Spark Plug Wire

LouB64

Cadet
Hi. it looks like the original ignition spark plug wires are still on the motor. I did get spark and I have replaced the spark plugs but I am thinking I should replace the original ignition wires and boots as well. How many feet of wire and what type of wire/plug boots should I use to replace the original? Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Unless the wires are visibly damaged or worn, I’d leave them alone. Check areas where the flex or are clamped to the motor in some way. Check boots and sparky for cracking & rust. If clean and you’ve got spark, you should be in good shape.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If you do decide to change them, you must use "wire" wire, that is NOT the carbon core resistance wire used on cars. Wire wire is getting harder and harder to find, but it is out there. Try your local auto parts store, tractor supply store, lawn mower shop, or of course an outboard shop.
The boots are available everywhere, including here at iboats. Iboats also has the wire in spools, and maybe? they cut it to length--ask.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The length.... I always cut to 3' lengths, then after reassembling the armature plate and wires back on the engine, with the armature plate in the full retard position, I cut the wires to their specific length.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if you do go ahead I have purchased my copper twisted plug wire from a local bike shop where " radio interference" frequently caused by solid core wire isn't a big issue ...

A.M. radio (aka the victim of RF noise) is mostly dying away around here... maybe one day solid wire will come back in fashion ??

my cost is CDN $2.50 a foot....booth are available also.... before you close it up measure your HV lead to ground to make sure you have good contacts (coil pin and booth clip... my last coil/wire job was about 4.6 Kohms per coil

LouB64

Cadet
Thank you! I appreciate all your input. Sounds like just what I needed to know. Thanks