Johnson 175 jet not run in 3-4 years

Tommy12

Cadet
I just recently bought a 18 ft aluminum Jon boat with a johnson 175 jet outboard. The boat hasnt ran in about 3 or 4 years, so I was wondering what could be some of the things that I am probably going to have to do to it to get it running? He seller said it ran the last time he put it up. We plan on tinkering on it this weekend, I just wanted to get a heads up of what we might look for.Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: help

Hi, Tommy.

Welcome to iboats. :)

"jet" is neither make nor model. We would need both to be any help beyond what is already in the Engines FAQ forum and the "Top Secret File" at the top of the Johnson/Evinrude Forum.

I also need that to decide where to transfer this. Engine questions are not allowed in the Boat forum.

Check out the Engines FAQ forum and the Top Secret File, and let us know what engine you have.

Good luck. :)

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

An 18' John Boat with a 175 motor? You might want to check on the max power for that boat. Seems way high.

As for a motor that's been sitting, you'll want to go through the gas lines, carbs, change out impeller and lower unit oil. Make sure it's free, put a few drops of oil in the sparkplug holes, turn it over a few times, then see if she starts. Don't start it dry (put the motor in a bucket with enough water to cover the intake).

But again, verify that HP - seems way to big to me for an 18' John Boat.

Tommy12

Cadet

You guys are so helpful! Sorry about posting it in the wrong place JB, I am new to the forum. I really dont even know the actual year of the motor. I am pretty sure its a 1985, but thats a whole nother subject. Duckhunter, the motor is a outboard jet, so the real horsepower to the foot is really only about 100. Do you think that is still to high?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tell us what make the cotton pickin' thing is, Tommy.

Tommy12

Cadet

JB, all I know is it is a 175 Johnson with a Jet prop. Me and my brother looked for a hour for some type of serial number. I think it is a 1985. Thats what the seller said. I know you guys are thinking..... who would buy a boat without knowing that much about it, but I got a steal on it. $1000 for the boat ,motor, and trailer. The boat itself is in excellent condition. How would I find a serial number on it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thread renamed and moved to the Johnson/Evinrude forum.

Tommy12

Cadet

Anybody have any idea where I could find the serial number on the motor?

jonesg

Admiral

You want the model number , we can't do anything with serial numbers, only dealerships can access factory computer files.
Just post anything you find, we'll sort it out.

Tommy12

Cadet

Here are some of some "stamped" numbers I found on various parts of the engine. The numbers are: 323213, 319218-4, 321013, 324406(intake manifold). Any ideas on where to start my search would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

There should be a metal tag with the numbers you need on the transom clamp that attaches the motor to the boat.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Call an Evinrude dealer and ask where to look for the serial number, and how to decipher it for year and horsepower. It's usually on a tag somewhere on the mounting bracket. And it's a jet, so it really doesn't matter what 'model' it is.

Research as necessary to determine the make of the jet unit, then research some more for maintenance procedures. Lubrication is important, and impellers usually have a close tolerance that should be respected.

I used to own an 18' Lowe with an '86 Johnson 85 hp jet. Trust me when I tell you that was all the motor I wanted, even with a good load. If, indeed, you have a 175 hp, you can easily find yourself where you do not want to be ... :facepalm:

Tommy12

Cadet

So is the jet aftermarket? Did Johnson not make a factory jet? I know it may be a dumb question, but this is the first jet I have ever owned. Thanks

AlTn

Commander

if you'll google...maintaining an outboard jet sschapter leroy's ramblings...you'll have some questions answered

jonesg

Admiral

It hasn't been run in several yrs, the carbs should be rebuilt.
You cannot order carb kits without the model number.
Jet or prop is completely irrelevant to maintaining the engine.
Once you know the yr, get the factory service book, it covers the jet too.