Johnson 130 fuel primer solenoid question! Help please.

j130tledm, serial g04074175 1996

Hey guys I need some help on this one please. Recently my boat quit and would not restart. I went through the proper test procedures in the manual and determined the fuel pump was failing. I changed out the VRO2 unit with an upgraded version P/N 5004558, and it fired up. Now it has a rich condition and will not run very good at all, will not rev up and smells of gas real bad.
Question is: Can the primer solenoid be leaking through causing the intake to be getting too much fuel? The manual does not say much about the primer solenoid, I know it acts as the choke and I can hear it click when the key is on and depressed.Can I just pull the small line from where it goes into the intake to see if it is dumping fuel?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 130 fuel primer solenoid question! Help please.

Yes, but be careful pulling the hose. The little barbs on the primer cap break real easy. Also make sure the valve is in the "off" position (red lever parallel to solenoid body).

You could pull the air silencer off to see if any carb is flooding. It's OK to run it on a hose or at an idle with the box off, just don't run it under a load with the box off.

I pulled the line off the intake portion instead of the solenoid itself. I have not cranked it yet this morning. We turned the key and waited till the lights went off on the tach, pushed the key in, and it barely is audible (the click) and there is no fuel coming through the hose up to the intake. Question is....is there enough fuel in the line to prime the carbs without cranking it first? How can there be enough fuel on the output side with the fuel pump not pumping?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pump has nothing to do with the primer. Pumping up the fuel bulb pressurizes the system and when you push the key, it allows that fuel to flow through the selenoid. Pump up the bulb and try it again. This is the normal running position for the red lever...

Carbprimerview2.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, I am working on it right now. How can there be fuel to the solenoid just by priming the bulb, when the solenoid is on the outlet side of the fuel line? How is fuel getting past the fuel pump with no pulse? Wouldnt you be just flooding the carbs if this was the case IE : that priming the bulb allowed fuel to the solenoid? I am confused.....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The larger of the 3 hoses on the primer is the feed line. It gets fuel from the main line. When you pump the bulb to pressure the system you're providing fuel pressure to the primer solenoid. When you engage the primer you open the solenoid or valve. The fuel under pressure goes to the manifold / carbs.

Did you pull a primer line from the intake or a recirc line?

If there is no pressure in the line you won't get much, if anything, out of the primer lines.

I do appreciate all the responses I have gotten, dont think that I dont. But... The primer solenoid is after the pump on the outlet side. I even took the hose off the solenoid and pumped the bulb. NO fuel comes out when you pump the bulb, it stops at the pump. If it were to bypass the pump to get to the solenoid, you might as well not have it, you would be pumping the carbs full of gas. I got it to work just fine, but not until I turned the engine over and got the main fuel pump pulsing. If someone tells you that is the way to start a Johnson/Rude by getting to the ramp, and pushing and holding the key without cranking the motor will send fuel to the carbs to help start it, I have no real reason to believe this. There is residual fuel in the line but nothing is under pressure until you crank the motor and get the fuel pump going.The solenoid is not a pump, but a electronic valve to allow pressurized fuel to the intake.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When you pump the bulb you send fuel thru the fuel pump and create line pressure. That fills the carb bowls (until the float rises and the needle stops the flow) and puts fuel into the line going to the primer. With pressure in the line, when you activate the primer - either manually or electrically - you open the valve and fuel goes into the manifold until the line pressure drops.

Okay well , mine stops the fuel at the pump and does not use the primer bulb to fill the bowls. They usually remain full after you shut it off from the last time you run it.The primer bulb on mine gets fuel to the pump only.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Pop one of the bowl screws out and let the fuel drain out. Or all of them. Now replace the screw(s) and pump the bulb. You'll see the bowl fills back up. Pumping the bulb sends fuel to the primer at the same time.

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

Promaster,

Are you sure your primer bulb is working? Does it eventually fill and become hard?

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

Promaster,

Are you sure your primer bulb is working? Does it fill and become hard while pumpimg it?

Please read the first post before responding. This is a VRO2 system, the fuel outlet to the solenoid is on the outlet side of the pump.

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are not likely to receive any better advice than what Dhadley has provided. He is one of the most knowledgeable people on the board. Please for your own sake listen to his advise.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The primer is just a valve with an electric switch or solenoid. It is not a pump.

All of our motors with VRO systems function the same as yours should and the fuel moves in the same way. If you fuel does not go through the fuel pump as described in the earlier responses, then you may have it hooked up incorrectly.

woodyking

Cadet

I'll just add that all vaccum operated pumps I have seen have two check valves, one that lets fuel come in when the diaphram draws, it then closes and the other opens from the pressure created when the diaphram moves towards the trapped fuel. And if you apply pressure to the inlet side, it will open both valves and the fuel will flow completely through the pump and out the outlet. So when you pump your bulb, it should push fuel through the pulse pump and on to the primer/injector valve. Just like the squeeze bulb, both check valves go in the same direction, allowing fuel to be sucked through by the pump after it is running. Or pushed through if the pressure was below the bulb. Woody