johnson 115 goes into gear but nothing spins?? help please

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1977 johnson 115. the lower unit went bad last year and i put on one at the end of the season last year but it was too late to actually put it in and test it. i started the boat about a week ago and it runs great.. but when i put the motor into gear the prop doesnt spin and i dont believe the gears are spinning either. when its in gear and the motor is running i can go back and turn the prop by hand and feel the gears moving, but they wont move on their own. i dont know much about lower units so idk whats going on with it. any input on what could be wrong would be appreciated. i wanna get it out soon so i am trying to figure it out. really hoping i didnt get screwed on the lower unit.. thanks in advance for the help.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
With plugs out, key off, disconnect the gear shift cable and see if you can put it into gear at the lever in the motor by hand and then see if the prop locks or still spins freely. It may be your cables causing it
If it does still spin you will need to drop the LU and do it manually by pulling the shift rod up and down.
If that doesnt work, probably likely you a in for a disassemble to see whats going on and a nasty ph call to the past owner

Last edited:

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow!! Can't believe you actually put your hand near a prop with it in gear and engine running!!! Not a smart move my friend!! Not to preach or judge but anything could have happened in that LU at any second and engaged the prop......please don't do that again!!

Now, as Bosunsmate stated, you may not have installed the shift rod to the precise measurement when reinstalling the LU or possible your cables are not adjusted properly. I believe the shift rod length should be 21-13/32" +/- 1/32". these measurements are critical when screwing the shift rod into the LU!!

Be safe and enjoy boating!!

Larry

Last edited:

dom_litty09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have already put the lower unit in gear by hand at the engine. still the same thing and ive dropped the lower unit and manually put it in gear. it goes in fine but like i said when you put it on the motor still nothing spins. but the LU is in gear. still no prop spin. and no gears spinning. il drop the lower unit again and measure the shift rod and make sure its right. and its mechanical

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Spline in the crankshaft stripped / rusted out.----Many folks just do not know that these splines must be greased on occasion to prevent this failure !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Or teeth stripped off the pinion gear.--What does oil in the lower unit look like ?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
You'll have to open it up and see what is going on.
Is this a new or reconditioned unit, or was it just a roll-of-the-dice?