Joe Reeves WOT Timing Procedure Question

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a general question about this procedure. I won't post it here because you can easily Google or search it here in the Forum. My question is, isn't there an electrical lockout circuit to prevent you from starting the motor in forward gear at wide open throttle? I'm doing this on a 1983 Evinrude 25 horsepower (E25RCTE) and my pull starter is locked up. However, the pistons are free and the flywheel turns freely. I will work on diagnosing the manual starter lockout problem, but I just figure that since there's a manual safety lockout then it stands to reason there's one that will prevent me from starting the motor while in gear using the starter. When I push the start button nothing is happening. It was running at idle just fine last weekend. I need to make sure the battery is charged up, but I have spark at 7/16 inch gap on a tester, fresh fuel and it was cranking last week.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those are attached to each other look on the shifting side of the motor you will see a cable go to the recoil thats the manual safety. Right next to that by the shift will be a switch that controls the electric start sounds like something got loose.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found the electric switch safety lock just next to the manual one like you said. I put a wedge in there to hold the circuit closed while i adjust timing. Thanks!