joe reeves timing method

ltextn

Cadet
Tried Joes method can only get 8deg of timing disconnected black and white wire for fast start put timing base to stop wired it in place r & r plugs spark tester in #1 cyl blue spark 7/16 gap throttle in wot engine spins over fast 300 + rpms 92 evinrude 120hp VE120TLEND Have I missed something or bad timing base ? Engine miss fires 3800 to 4200 Have ohmed stator and timing base using cdi values check good , Checked coil resistance good no hot spots or cracks, new plug wires and plugs Hole shot good no problem just in that 3800 to 4200 range any help would be great ,Thanks ltextn

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Tried Joes method can only get 8deg of timing disconnected black and white wire for fast start put timing base to stop wired it in place r & r plugs spark tester in #1 cyl blue spark 7/16 gap throttle in wot engine spins over fast 300 + rpms 92 evinrude 120hp VE120TLEND Have I missed something or bad timing base ? Engine miss fires 3800 to 4200 Have ohmed stator and timing base using cdi values check good , Checked coil resistance good no hot spots or cracks, new plug wires and plugs Hole shot good no problem just in that 3800 to 4200 range any help would be great ,Thanks ltextn

I'm understanding from your message that the timer base is advanced so that it is jammed up against the rubber cap of the timing advance stop screw, and wired/tied there so that the rotation of the flywheel cannot affect it... and you get a full spark advance reading of only 8 degrees?

I don't know what the full timing spark advance is on that model right off top of my head and don't have the book on it so I'll be waiting along with you as to the replies of the other members for the answer to that problem.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Blk/wht from PACK has to be grounded not disconnected to disable Quikstart

ltextn

Cadet
My fault wrong side for timing adjustment l did find very small crack in top of stator and l bubble nothing coming out like it `had hot might be age ? thanks