Joe Reeves Max Spark Advance

emmo1210

Seaman
Hi Guys,

Im having a little difficulty setting the max spark advance on my 1990 evinrude 90 motor, through the joe reeves procedure.

It says "set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw"

I cannot find any rubber stops around the timer base? Does this simply mean to screw the thumb wheel completely to the inner end of the spark advance screw?

Would appreciate any help on this.

Regards
Emmett

emmo1210

Seaman
Re: Joe Reeves Max Spark Advance

Do I need to screw the thumbwheel to end of thread on spark advance rod (due to their being no rubber stop) could anyone tell me?

Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The timing procedure I spoke of doesn't pertain to your engine unless you're capable of disabling the fast start feature which automatically advances the spark upon the initial startup. You'll need someone else to advise you on that procedure.

If the above Fast Start feature is disabled, then you can use the timing method I spoke of and adjust whatever is needed to set the timing...... whatever moves the timer base when the vertical throttle arm is set to full throttle.

emmo1210

Seaman

Hi Joe,

I didnt think quick start feature was on my motor, could anyone confirm that, v4 1990 90hp.

Thanks
Regards
Emmett