Jet ski fishing?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is a jet ski of any use for solo fishing in extreme shallows?

I live at a river mouth/bay, but a few miles from me there's some nice shallow tidal creeks that hold lots of fish. The kind of areas good for a flat bottomed Carolina Skiff or kayak. I've got plenty of kayaks, but the creeks are a bit too far away, unless I haul the kayak via my normal boat and use it as the 'mother ship' to launch from. (I do have a shallow water 'Whaler Clone' for shallow boating, but it currently has issues)

I'm a semi-retired semi-oldish fart - not your typical jet skiier, but I keep finding local great deals on used jet skis, and it's got me thinking. Can I use a jet ski as sort of an old-fart fishing kayak? Can you troll from a jet ski? How big an issue is it to suck up muck in the shallows?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Jet ski fishing?

Jet ski would suck for shallow water fishing. If there are weeds you will clog it, if you hit the gas in a couple feet of water it'll suck the rocks and sand right off the bottom and blow them through the impeller. Better off with a little bathtub boat and a trolling motor.

jdlough

The area I'm thinking of is the finest of fine muck. No sand, no rocks, no weeds. I occasionally get semi-stuck with outboards and blast my way out with no problems.

I have no experience with jet impellers. So, muck is a no-no? I sort of assumed if I got stuck in 6" of water, I'd just hop out and push off into deeper water.

I keep running into neighbors whose kids are moving away/going off to college. They offer me the ski for $500 or so. I know the skis work, cuz them kids wake me up at the ungodly hour of 10AM on the weekends with their dang skiing. Another neighbor wants to sell me his jet ski lift for $200. It might be fun, but I just don't want to buy a headache. Also trying to avoid "I told you so" :rolleyes:

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The area I'm thinking of is the finest of fine muck. No sand, no rocks, no weeds. I occasionally get semi-stuck with outboards and blast my way out with no problems.

I have no experience with jet impellers. So, muck is a no-no? I sort of assumed if I got stuck in 6" of water, I'd just hop out and push off into deeper water.

I keep running into neighbors whose kids are moving away/going off to college. They offer me the ski for $500 or so. I know the skis work, cuz them kids wake me up at the ungodly hour of 10AM on the weekends with their dang skiing. Another neighbor wants to sell me his jet ski lift for $200. It might be fun, but I just don't want to buy a headache. Also trying to avoid "I told you so" :rolleyes:

If it runs, drives, and floats for $200 how bad of a mistake can it be. If you decide you don't like it the most you will lose is $200. Way less than most lose when they sell thier boat.

I've owned a jet ski and currently own a boat. The jet ski is a blast, and I'm sure you could manage to fish with it, but it is sooo limited in uses. I don't think I'll ever get sick of the boat because it can do so many different things. Tubing, sking, fishing, cruising, camping, etc...

Just my 2cents

Austin

jdlough

I can get a manual jet ski lift for $200. That plus a used jet ski would bring it to just under $1000.

I don't mind too much making a stupid under $1000 mistake. Over $1000 mistakes, people notice. ahem

The thing is, the perfect boat for this need is a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk, which used is about $7k.

For $7k, I can get 2 decent Whaler clones and a jetski. (Which I'll probably all sell later and just get a Whaler or Carolina Skiff like I should have in the first place)

So, I'm basically wondering if a jet ski can be used as a shallow water single person fishing boat, or are they too specialized for speed nuts.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can get a manual jet ski lift for $200. That plus a used jet ski would bring it to just under $1000.

I don't mind too much making a stupid under $1000 mistake. Over $1000 mistakes, people notice. ahem

The thing is, the perfect boat for this need is a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk, which used is about $7k.

For $7k, I can get 2 decent Whaler clones and a jetski. (Which I'll probably all sell later and just get a Whaler or Carolina Skiff like I should have in the first place)

So, I'm basically wondering if a jet ski can be used as a shallow water single person fishing boat, or are they too specialized for speed nuts.

Sorry, misread your post (reading too fast).

From my experience with a jet ski... They don't draft much but the jet sucks up debris like crazy (even at low throttle). If it drafts 1ft with one person then I wouldn't drive in less that 2ft at low speed. If your planning doing 40mph then your ok in much less, just don't stop :).

I've already had to disassemble my jet drive to remove pebbles that I sucked it from putting around a slow speeds, mud isn't really a problem unless your actually on top of it and some seeweed is ok but best avoided.

If your sole purpose is going to be fishing then I would stay away from the jet ski. IMHO if your only wanting to fish and on a budget (or just don't want to spend much) then I would buy a small alluminum with a little outboard. Very little maintenance and everything is cheap and easy to work on, and you can buy a trolling motor for $150 and it won't matter how many rocks, seeweed and mud you run into.

Austin

jdlough

Yeah, so from reading the jet ski specs, they are really low draft, under 12".

But in real life use, in the shallows, they apparently are a pain in the butt. I guess that's why I've never seen a jet skiier poking around at idle speeds in the shallows.

It was a bit of a goofy idea anyway. My company owes me a pile of expense checks. I may just nab one of these cheap jet skis. If I do, I'll post here and let you all know if it's as stupid of an idea as we all think it is. I figure a nice '80s Bayliner Jetski with a Force motor is a good choice, right? :rolleyes:

sstone

Seaman

I've fished off a waverunner a couple times, mostly when I spot some "boiling water" and wanna get out there quick. If its sandy and fine, I think it's doable at slow speeds, In 2-3 ft water.

Just hope you don't catch moby **** while you're on it

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jetski1.jpg

jdlough

Don,

Yep, this guy looks like he could be right off my pier. The shallow creek fishing spot I'm talking about is about 3 miles behind him.

This guy's rig looks like it costs about as much as my car. I'm considering doing the same thing for about $1,000.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Theres lots of boats that draw 12"'s or less,almost any aluminum jon boat...
I think they would be easier to fish from/troll,then out of a jet ski.

jdlough

Theres lots of boats that draw 12"'s or less,almost any aluminum jon boat...
I think they would be easier to fish from/troll,then out of a jet ski.

Yep, I've had shallow draft flat bottomed boats. The outboard lower leg still sticks down about one foot below the bottom of the boat, getting you stuck.

Jon boats or any other low freeboard boats (except Whalers) will not work. See Don's pic above. That's a dude on a nice day. One hour later, this guy could be praying to Poseidon.

I have 3 shallow draft flat bottomed boats 18' and under that I am currently using as raised flowerbeds in my yard. Low-free-board flat bottomed boats don't work here.

I guess now I'm wondering about 2 things:

How does a jet ski handle extreme shallows.

How does a jet ski handle extreme surprise bad weather for the 5 mile run home.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You've already been informed/warned about the shallows.

The ride home, I see jet skis jumping wakes and catching air all the time... and you can see them in videos in the surf.

The 5 mile ride home will only take 5 minutes at 60 mph.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I've had shallow draft flat bottomed boats. The outboard lower leg still sticks down about one foot below the bottom of the boat, getting you stuck.

I've run a 25-foot flat-bottom with tunnel and it will run all day in six inches of water; however, it does need twelve inches to putt-putt around.

Maybe you should consider a bay boat? Good ones will run in 2 feet of water just fine and still handle some snotty water.

oldjeep

Admiral

I don't think you're understanding. If you operate a jetski in water that an outboard leg would get stuck in then you will destroy the impeller, wear ring and pump on the jetski.

As for the jetski in bad weather - depends on the rig. I've got a nearly 800lb 215HP jetski that can be a handful in choppy water. In a little one, I don't think you would like the ride much.

haulnazz15

Captain

Here's the best I can do. Worked great for me, however, the engine wasn't running and I was in 10'+ of water. :)

DSC00560.jpg

The hardest part might be securing your fishing gear for the run. A jetski might be difficult but a waverunner would probably work, like the one above. I'd probably find a good way to secure the pole (collapsible) and then either mount a tiny plastic tackle box or stick it in a compartment, if waverunners have those. If the only problem seems to be moving around in shallow waters, how about using a telescoping pole to move around? Why would you want to fire up and engine and scare off the fish anyway? Mount the telescoping pole next to your fishing pole and you're set!

For $200 you should do it. If anything, you'll have a great reason to come back here and post.

haulnazz15

Captain

The hardest part might be securing your fishing gear for the run. A jetski might be difficult but a waverunner would probably work, like the one above.

Just a side note, that unit I'm sitting on IS a JetSki. :) It's one of those terms like calling all facial tissues a "Kleenex". Kawasaki makes the JetSki models, which includes both stand-up and sit-down watercraft. Waverunner is a Yamaha monicker, although I don't know if they still make a stand-up version anymore. SeaDoo is the Bombardier namesake. Just picking nits.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Jon boats or any other low freeboard boats (except Whalers) will not work. See Don's pic above. That's a dude on a nice day. One hour later, this guy could be praying to Poseidon.

I have 3 shallow draft flat bottomed boats 18' and under that I am currently using as raised flowerbeds in my yard. Low-free-board flat bottomed boats don't work here.

I guess now I'm wondering about 2 things:

A jon boat with a mud motor,some of those guys don't even need water:)