Jeep Wrangler as a Tow Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Jeep Wrangler as a Tow Vehicle

Mark,
Just another chime from experience. A friend of mind attempted to use his Jeep Wrangler to tow a 17' bow rider about 2 miles from its storage location to the boat ramp in the Keys. About half way there, he stopped and called for someone to pick-up the boat and return it back to storage. I made the 3 hour each way trip.

That sounds more like someone who has never towed a thing in their life... I've towed loads that size with atv's and garden tractors! Two miles, could have done that at 10 mph!.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Mark, I am with Jeep Man and DJ, I love Jeeps but if you are going to tow with it make sure you just woke up because in 1/4 mile you will be WIDE AWAKE!! You won't need coffee or anything to wake up, nothing at all but a claw hammer to remove the death grip from the steering wheel. Yes I'm sure it will make it just fine but whoa boy what a hand full!

SparkieBoat

Captain

Jeeps are not good tow vehicles..do yourself and anyone you would run off the road a big favor and get yourself a F-150 with the 5.4 V-8...

reelfishin

Captain

I've owned three Jeeps CJ/YJ models over the years, an 1985 CJ7, a 1987 Wrangler, both with the old 4.2L engine, and a 1992 with a 2.5L manual trans. The '85 CJ was probably the best Jeep for hauling my bass boat and the woman I sold it too still tows a Jet ski with it. It was good for getting the boat into places I wouldn't or couldn't take my full size truck. 1,000 lbs though is in my opinion all any of them are capable of towing. The 6 cylinder has more power but that don't help the fact that its a short wheelbase and any amount of tongue weight affects handling. I did haul a 19' Stern Drive trihull home with it once, that was enough for me to know I should have made the trip home to get my truck. The main reason I no longer own Jeeps is simply that they are not tow vehicles. I've had small cars that felt better with a trailer attached.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This thread is a year old........

cribber

Lieutenant

Interesting read though ezmobee... nice reminder to remember to check max recommended towing capacities before committing coin for a new tow rig.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Dang even I fell into the trap this time!! Sorry ezmobee

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

was a good read tho.... man that smokeonthewater guy said it well :D

canadianmark

Cadet

I had an old '88 Jeep Cherokee Inline 6 cyl, great shape, bought it for next to nothing.

Bought a 10 footer travel trailer, off hand I forget the weight it came up on the scale. It was a 1970's style.

My rig overheated coming outta the steep Drumheller, AB hill. The door said 5k lbs, I would guess my mansion on wheels weighed 2200 lbs.

It even overheated on slight hills but would cool down.

I would guess a 4cyl can't tow much, not much power for hills and if you bog down half way up a hill your in trouble.

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

While the wrangler is a great vehicle and I'd love to have one. Don't go by the class of hitch you have but check the gross weight tag on the door frame!!!!!!!! Yes you can tow almost anything BUT they problem occurs when/if you have an emergency like somebody runs in front of you and you have to make a sudden stop or change in direction. The wrangler doesn't have enough brakes, weight or power to control the load you are pulling that is much over the rated capacity GVWR. In other words the wrangler doesnt have enough *** to be safe. Pick up a copy of 4 wheel off road mag and check em out. Sorry buy you just don't have enough guff for a heavy load. NO MATTER WHAT CLASS HITCH YOU HAVE. By the time you get all your gear loaded along with a buddy or two, you are probably very close to that gross limit......WITHOUT A TRAILER. Check the numbers and be safe.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

sea goin dude,
Welcome to IBOATS.... this is a thread from last year no need to dig it up again.... I'm sure you simply didn't notice that... just check the date before replying to something that isn't on page one.

BTW don't feel bad... you are the third person to dig this one up in the last month or two:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.