JB..??

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
I was wondering what you were tossing for Musky baits on Lake of The Woods last fall.<br /><br />Just talked my uncle up in Hibbing (MN) and he wants us to get together up there this year or next so I'm starting a little homework.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: JB..??

In the fall I used some larger baits that I don't use in the early Summer.<br /><br />18cm Magnum Floating Rapalas (firetiger and GFR), DB8 Bagleys (firetiger and crawdad) and #6 tandem in-line spinners (tandem Mepps Magnum Musky Killers and Super Vibrax). Also tried a magnum tandem spinnerbait that I don't recall the name of. Left it on a rock pretty quickly.<br /><br />I actually caught the most and biggest muskys and pike on my favorite. .. . my own Esox Doom in black or firetiger. Of course it is only fair to say that it is a lot easier to cast and retrieve than those 1 to 3oz. lures so I threw it a lot more.<br /><br />For summer I use the Esox Doom, 18cm original Rapalas, DB3 Bagleys, Mepps Musky Killers (single hook) and large spinnerbaits. This Summer I will add a new lure, my Dirty Dozen. It will be tandem rigged six armed curleytails (2) behind a #5 Mepps Aglia blade and body.<br /><br />Good luck, Barlow, and release 'em all. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you JB.. got 'em covered except your "Muskie Doom" and the Bagley's in colors you listed - did you have any takers on the those specific colors?<br /><br /> I took a look at my Aglias a while back and one was ellected 'surgery victim #1' just haven't got to it yet. Painted and dressed an old beat up Fatal Attraction the other night so your 'Doom' is next on the list.<br /><br />What were the 'strike' lures you threw? last fall .. have raises with all listed?<br /><br />Anything 'unconventional' (by todays standard) get wet? spoons or chaser rigs??<br /><br />definately no Musky kept - firm believer in good quality reproductions. <br /><br />thanks for sharing JB.. ;)

JB

I raised fish with the Rapalas and all of the inline spinner types.<br /><br />If I get several follows from a seemingly bored fish I throw it a small Bagley (DDKB-2) on my light walleye rig and hold on for dear life. Caught several nice ones that way. LOTS of fun on a walleye rod and 8# Power Pro. Yeah, I know it is big risk of a lost fish, but I have landed every one that hit it.<br /><br />I have found that firetiger, chartruese, green/yellow and black, in that order, are the most effective colors for me on LOTW.<br /><br />BTW, it is Esox Doom, not Musky Doom. It catches lots of pike, too, as well as big walleyes and smallies.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

:note to self: .. pardon .. 'Esox Doom'.<br />(royalties will be direct deposit :D )<br /><br />One thing I've noticed with the spare skirts I have (5" for Bass jigs) they don't seem full enough. Are you using the 7" or doubling the skirt? or.. am I being too critical here? <br /><br />Thanks on the color analysis also.. interesting!<br /><br />I couldn't agree more on lighter rods being fun! You'd hear no complaints from me about using 'em - I'd be a hypocrite in doing so.<br /><br />I'll probably have more to jabber about later .. thanx for filling me in thus far. :)

gonfishn

Commander

Everyone JB? :D Even I can't say that or my nose would be out there quite a bit.. lol..But then again we all fish and very seldom tell the truth, I mean tell a lie :) <br /><br />Was wondering JB what size hooks are you using? I have had 15 lbers hit and straighten out my hooks like right now on the pooter hooks..Small treble hooks tend to not penetrate like a normal musky rig size does.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

them was the dreaded bottom musky gf...<br /><br />what does a musky eat?<br />whatever it wants! LOL<br />even JB if he's not careful :p

JB

If one sets drag* correctly for the lure and hook size he is casting hooks don't get straightened out. It just takes a lot longer to subdue the prey. :) <br /><br />* This often requires an extraordinary reel. My "light" reel is a Garcia Pro Max 1600, which has a great drag.