jack plate

dethridge

Cadet
I am wondering, what does a jack plate actually do. i see alot of out boards with them. i am just wondering what they do and how they work. I hope this question dont sound really stupid i am new to boating and trying to learn as much as i can.

thanks so much

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: jack plate

Basically a jack plate moves the motor back into "cleaner" water.It also allows
more precise vertical adjustment. For optimal performance.Some can be remotely operated some are manual.

dethridge

Cadet

hey thanks for the info. now that i know what i does i can read up on it.thanks again.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A jack plate has several advantages depending on what you want to do with your boat and setup

- Set your lower unit back in "cleaner water" with less turbulence for a better bit in the water due to less cavitation.

- Raise the lower unit for less drag in the water for more top end speed.

- Lower the lower unit into the water for a bigger bit in the rough stuff such as when boating off shore.

- You can raise the lower unit to run in shallower water at speed

- More bow rise on a for getting on plane faster with less trim angle

- Raise the jack plate(hydraulic) in the shallows to keep the bow down instead of trimming up which increases bow rise.

Great Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M56GZvUAOWc

The main reason for a jack plate is to get the lower unit up higher to run faster. In fact, most of the go fast bass boat and all out performance boats will run the ventilation plate as much as 5'' above pad(bottom of keel). The prop is at this point nearly out of the water and scooping air. They eliminate this by using a special surface prop that cost as much as $3000.00 to $5000.00 and low water intake on the nose of the lower unit.

I can help with jack plates just PM me.