J150EXECD shift cable vs throttle cable

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I replaced my throttle cable on my 1998 150 HP 60°. I bought two Teleflex Extreme CC20523 cables thinking I would replace both the throttle and the shift cable.

The throttle cable matched the old cable perfectly. But the old shift cable end doesn’t line up with the new one.

Is there something I’m missing? All the online sellers I’ve checked list them as throttle/shift cables, as if they’re interchangeable.

BTW, the old shift cable is on the bottom in the photo. The other ends are connected to the shifter which is in neutral position, so both cables are fully retracted.

Attachments

• 6D869F5B-77BA-4A33-B4BA-651ED0A5E7B5.jpeg
    6D869F5B-77BA-4A33-B4BA-651ED0A5E7B5.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 6
  • F2C51B0D-B53C-4450-8007-E828DDAFCE92.jpeg
    F2C51B0D-B53C-4450-8007-E828DDAFCE92.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 5

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I replaced my throttle cable on my 1998 150 HP 60°. I bought two Teleflex Extreme CC20523 cables thinking I would replace both the throttle and the shift cable.

The throttle cable matched the old cable perfectly. But the old shift cable end doesn’t line up with the new one.

Is there something I’m missing? All the online sellers I’ve checked list them as throttle/shift cables, as if they’re interchangeable.

BTW, the old shift cable is on the bottom in the photo. The other ends are connected to the shifter which is in neutral position, so both cables are fully retracted.
To me it looks like your old one is in neutral or close and your new one is in the forward position. Are you saying you have both cables into a control box???

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
To me it looks like your old one is in neutral or close and your new one is in the forward position. Are you saying you have both cables into a control box???
Yes. I reinstalled the old shift cable and installed the new throttle cable, just like they came out. This photo was taken with the shifter in neutral.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yes. I reinstalled the old shift cable and installed the new throttle cable, just like they came out. This photo was taken with the shifter in neutral.
Sorry, still having a hard time evaluating. Picture is of two shifter cables next to each other. But they both can't be hooked up to the box at the same time. Are you saying that is what they look like when they are individually hooked up? (Old one is in the middle of it's range and new one is in the forward position)Shift cables, from what I read, haven't changed since 1979

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
A throttle cable is typically longer because it reaches around to the port side of the motor, unlike the shift cable attaches to starboard. I'll guess that if one is slightly long for a particular application, there is no harm done.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
A throttle cable is typically longer because it reaches around to the port side of the motor, unlike the shift cable attaches to starboard. I'll guess that if one is slightly long for a particular application, there is no harm done.
Hmmm… mine both run down the starboard side. I’ll reassemble tomorrow and post pictures.

My old shift cable works fine, it was the throttle cable that got corroded and locked up. I just thought I’d do the shift cable while I was in there.
🤷‍♂️

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This should be simple.----Shift and throttle cables are the same.----And the same length on that motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
...on that motor (like many others). Maybe you can do an exchange for the single cable.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hmmm… mine both run down the starboard side. I’ll reassemble tomorrow and post pictures.

My old shift cable works fine, it was the throttle cable that got corroded and locked up. I just thought I’d do the shift cable while I was in there.
🤷‍♂️
Mine also just run down the starboard side. To me, it would appear like you just installed it incorrectly in the box. Did you compare both ends before you installed? That would be the clincher.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
The picture is not of a throttle cable and shifter cable, that is the old shifter cable and the new one. He says, if I'm interpreting this correctly, those are the orientations when they are both in the neutral positions.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, last post for me on this one. The part number you provide in the picture is one of the teleflex xtream cables. I couldn't find it. Teleflex and Seastar have joined each other and it looks like Sierra did to. I found Sierra teleflex cables with different part numbers. Quite a confusing go around if you try to get any info online from them. It would appear if you buy from them you have to get adapters. Found some but again I couldn't figure it out. Here is one guy complaining about such a feat. Another reason to purchase OEM stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-185030.png
    Screenshot_20220819-185030.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 5

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
So… I had a total Homer Simpson “Doh” moment last night. The cables are in fact identical. When they’re connected to the control box, and the control box is in neutral, the throttle cable is fully retracted and the shift cable is only halfway retracted.

When I shifted to the forward position, just enough to retract the shift cable without extending the throttle cable, they matched up perfectly.

I’ll put the second cable in today.

Just goes to show I’m still really good at overthinking things!

Attachments

• 40A4A95F-BD1D-4EF8-BB5C-A5230E59B4B5.jpeg
    40A4A95F-BD1D-4EF8-BB5C-A5230E59B4B5.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
So… I had a total Homer Simpson “Doh” moment last night. The cables are in fact identical. When they’re connected to the control box, and the control box is in neutral, the throttle cable is fully retracted and the shift cable is only halfway retracted.

When I shifted to the forward position, just enough to retract the shift cable without extending the throttle cable, they matched up perfectly.

I’ll put the second cable in today.

Just goes to show I’m still really good at overthinking things!
Glad you figured it out.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Everything is installed and working as advertised with the shift cables.

Just gotta put the carbs back on, torque em to about 50 inch pounds and it’ll be ready to launch, apart from some little stuff

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Everything is installed and working as advertised with the shift cables.

Just gotta put the carbs back on, torque em to about 50 inch pounds and it’ll be ready to launch, apart from some little stuff
Are those xtream cables as good as advertised? Claim to be smoother. Also, you left out one step, "test engine" ; )