J150EXECD Looks like I need a new float?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I am replacing the bowls and gaskets, etc. on my Johnson 150 looper, 60°. I just noticed some cracks on the last carburetor float. Guess I have to replace that?🫤 The answer probably seems obvious, but I thought maybe I got lucky and these are filled with some kind of insert that isn’t hurt if the outer casing cracks. Dare to dream, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That float is made of nitrophyl, a solid closed cell material. It's supposed to be better than a hollow float because it won't leak. Unfortunately, not sure if those cracks amount to an issue or not.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I’m tryina get this thing back together and launch the boat before the season ends. I’ve had it in the back yard for 3-4 years! 🙄

I had to rebuild the transom, and I still have work to do on linkage and steering. Plus get the old gas out of the tank!

I may just mark that carb and mount it on one of the top cylinders. Easy to get to if I do have to replace it later. Or if I just decide to replace it just in case.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I’m tryina get this thing back together and launch the boat before the season ends. I’ve had it in the back yard for 3-4 years! 🙄

I had to rebuild the transom, and I still have work to do on linkage and steering. Plus get the old gas out of the tank!

I may just mark that carb and mount it on one of the top cylinders. Easy to get to if I do have to replace it later. Or if I just decide to replace it just in case.
That like said I believe is a solid foam. It won't sink like a hollow plastic or brass could. I rebuilt a carb on a 25hp recently with a cheap eBay or Amazon kit and the replacement float was sketchy cheap looking plastic, I used the original float like that as there quality. The seat even was the incorrect thread so I used the original seat. I think I may have used the new needle though? I learned a lesson though don't get the cheap kit pay the extra $10 or so for a better kit.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
That like said I believe is a solid foam. It won't sink like a hollow plastic or brass could. I rebuilt a carb on a 25hp recently with a cheap eBay or Amazon kit and the replacement float was sketchy cheap looking plastic, I used the original float like that as there quality. The seat even was the incorrect thread so I used the original seat. I think I may have used the new needle though? I learned a lesson though don't get the cheap kit pay the extra $10 or so for a better kit.
Found some OEM floats on eBay

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Even the picture of the new ones shows cracks, however, it is hard to be sure if the cracks are the same.

I would expect them to be avail aftermarket. OEM ones are $26 ea.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I wondered if that was the case. I didn’t want to open up the other carbs to check and didn’t think to look online for pix.

Where the metal tabs inserted into the float there was some rust. That surprised me, because I would have thought that part was stainless steel.

Either way I bought a package of two OEM floats at eBay for just over $30. They’re supposed to come in tomorrow. Meanwhile I’m replacing a rusty throttle cable… and the shift cable while I’m at it.

I THINK those are my last two repairs before launching. But then again, with old boats… ya never really know, do ya?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Funny, the government with all their odd rules and regulations are supposed to keep the public safe but whomever is monitoring all the crap that is being built and sold on the open market is definitely a sleep at the wheel. I have never seen such non-usable trash sold on the open market.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Funny, the government with all their odd rules and regulations are supposed to keep the public safe but whomever is monitoring all the crap that is being built and sold on the open market is definitely a sleep at the wheel. I have never seen such non-usable trash sold on the open market.
Yeah. I feel best when I can find OEM, new, old stock. They really don’t make them like they used to!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah. I feel best when I can find OEM, new, old stock. They really don’t make them like they used to!
No they are allowed to make pure and simple junk. Stuff that doesn't work at all. Good stuff now days is stuff that works but doesn't last long.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Why not put the old float into a small container of fuel. Weight it down with something overnight so it's under the fuel. Then release it the next morning. Does it float back to the top? If so it's good.