It's L-Live!

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been putting together a basket case maxum 120 L-DRIVE. Pulled the head to check for damage (It was loose??). put it on, compression tested, spark tested, installed both carbs and linkages. Got the choke working, stuck the tail in a tub, the fuel line in some fresh gas, turned the key (ok...a few times) and....It started right up!... and idles pretty smooth!!! Was even pumping water!

I've got a lot of the pieces of the puzzle from you guys....Thanks.

Up next..control cables, and head to some water for some testing. BTW, I'll bring my own tow boat on the first outing!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: It's L-Live!

Good luck it will be interesting to see how an L drive performs.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer
Re: It's L-Live!

Congratulations! It's a good feeling when something finally works, isn't it?

My 85 HP L-drive pulled a skiier this weekend, with 5 other people in the boat... Granted, it was 2 adults, and 3 kids, but none-the-less, it pulled the 214 lb fat guy outta the water! If that's not enough, it made 30 mph, after playing with the tilt/trim a little. Without the skiier, with just the 5 of us in it, we made 33 mph according to a jet-ski speedo. My speedo said about 33, but I don't trust my own junk. I'm gonna take my laptop with the gps on it this weekend.

Probably shouldn't say this, as someone will wanna hang me... I had 6 adults, a whole bunch of tools (I'm still nervous;)) and a lot of food/drinks, and a full tank of fuel..... Bottom line, I was a little over weight. The boat got out of the water, and planed just perfectly, and topped out at around 28 mph.

So far, I'm very happy with the setup. I'm still thinking about dumping it in the spring, but, what the heck... might as well use it until then.

Just wanted to show that there is one other guy that's having luck with his L-drive.... knock on wood.