It pays to double check the trailer connection

boatman37

Lieutenant
maybe pulled the pin but the insert was frozen in the hitch but the force of the trailer pulled it out?

lihartke

Cadet
I had to hook a tow strap to mine and hook it to my my husbands hitch and had him pull my reciever out. We take ours out for winter and derust and spray them well but it id almost always stuck. Thanks for reminding me to take it out. I'll have to do it 2x's a season. That will fix it. Good call on the missing pin. I bet someone did try to steal it. Was just the cotter pin missing or the whole pin? I have a locking pin and they last atleast 3 years. I've had mine atleast that long and it still works. Thank God you lost it there and not at 50mph on a hilly HWY

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank God you lost it there and not at 50mph on a hilly HWY

That's exactly right. I do know it had to have been physically removed by someone.. the Admiral thinks I was sleepwalking some night and did it lol... the reason I say it had to be physically removed by someone is, the cotter pin in the hitch pin was tight enough I could hardly take it out without a pliers

boatman37

Lieutenant
maybe pulled the pin but the insert was frozen in the hitch but the force of the trailer pulled it out?

not sure what happened to the rest of my post but i was saying maybe someone tried to steal it. on the other hand it was late and i was tired. i probably couldn't read what i was typing...lol

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Last Friday at the beginning of the holiday weekend I had to drive 150 miles (each way) to retrieve my pontoon & lift trailer from a shop that had replaced a blown bearing. The shop had stuck the rig out back and helped me hook up after I paid the bill. I was in a hurry to try to stay ahead of the holiday traffic and I overlooked a couple things. About 30 miles out I heard an occasional "tink" coming from back there so my mind started replaying the hookup. I didn't remember hooking up the safety chains. I pulled to the shoulder and walked back to find the noise was a ratchet strap that had shook loose. AND no safety chains at all. The shop had tossed them in the boat. AND when installing them I noticed the hitch latch looked a little tall. On inspection I found the clamp was trapped on top of the ball. :eek:

SO...I was cruising with the ball unclamped, not fully seated, and no safety chains. Stupid...but lucky.

jkust

Rear Admiral
As it is in my neck of the woods, it is illegal to keep the hitch in unless towing and is a reason to get pulled over so I don't keep mine in. I like that it makes so careless parkers can't bump your bumper but oh well. I use a locking hitch pin as well. In a hurry one time a couple seasons ago, I started towing the boat home and not only forgot the hinge pin, I didn't push down the mechanism to hold the ball in place. It took a few bumps until I realized but was maybe 5 miles down the road by the time I realized it. To me the bigger thing here is when you realize that physics overpowers all of your safety mechanisms that give you a false sense of security. I know personally from other trailering experiences that the force can snap the thickest chains and locks and safety mechanisms like they are plastic.

oldjeep

Admiral
As it is in my neck of the woods, it is illegal to keep the hitch in unless towing and is a reason to get pulled over so I don't keep mine in. I like that it makes so careless parkers can't bump your bumper but oh well. I use a locking hitch pin as well. In a hurry one time a couple seasons ago, I started towing the boat home and not only forgot the hinge pin, I didn't push down the mechanism to hold the ball in place. It took a few bumps until I realized but was maybe 5 miles down the road by the time I realized it. To me the bigger thing here is when you realize that physics overpowers all of your safety mechanisms that give you a false sense of security. I know personally from other trailering experiences that the force can snap the thickest chains and locks and safety mechanisms like they are plastic.

Where is it illegal to leave the hitch in? I thought you were in MN?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Where is it illegal to leave the hitch in? I thought you were in MN?

You are right...I stand corrected. I got verbally warned by the cops that I needed to take my single ball hitch out when not towing. I always kept it in until then. I take it back.

oldjeep

Admiral
You are right...I stand corrected. I got verbally warned by the cops that I needed to take my single ball hitch out when not towing. I always kept it in until then. I take it back.

The only possible ticket they could give you for leaving your hitch in in MN would be if it was a lift hitch that was obscuring the license plate. If a cop gave me a verbal warning for having mine in (which it has been for the last 7 years) I'd be asking for the information on the law.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...al-have-ball-hitch-if-im-not-pulling-anything

jkust

Rear Admiral
The only possible ticket they could give you for leaving your hitch in in MN would be if it was a lift hitch that was obscuring the license plate. If a cop gave me a verbal warning for having mine in (which it has been for the last 7 years) I'd be asking for the information on the law.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...al-have-ball-hitch-if-im-not-pulling-anything

Yeah...I didn't really think anything of it and was happy to not get a ticket for it. Single, drop down hitch that doesn't obstruct the plate at all.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I really hate cops that don't the laws they are sworn to uphold or make up laws that don't exist.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

Sometimes all the precautions in the world won't help much. This happened to me, had her all hooked up, checked ect.... Pulled out of the driveway, and bang! The coupler let go, and was in pieces on the road, I was lucky it didn't break at highway speed. The coupler was replaced by the previous owner, and apparently got bent again, and straightened, but just looking at It, it looked fine. Lesson learned, I guess I'll just replace the couplers on all of them. Don't know if ya can see it but there is rust where the crack is. Almost ruined my weekend, and possibly could have hurt someone else.
As a side note, the safety chains did their job, all the damage was just a ding in the bumper, and my ego.

Attachments

• photo252003.jpg
    photo252003.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252004.jpg
    photo252004.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 0

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great topic, it is super respectable that you guys are sharing your mistakes so that others can benefit. I have found this happens with many tools. You get too comfortable using them and that is when safety goes out the window. A ladder is the most dangerous tool you own and it is for similar reasons as those stated above. You just throw the thing against the house and start climbing. Never checking too hard to make sure it is set right.

I had never trailered anything before a few years ago when I took my old boat home to restore. I was super cautious and double checked everything for the first couple of times. After that I would be at the end of my block stopped and checking everything because I didn't remember doing this or that. I wasnt paying enough attwntion to the task. I think it should be a zen moment so to speak. Clear your mind, focus on the job. And double check your work. We all get so used to towing that we forget how dangerous it can be if we forgot one thing. I would never forgive myself if I hurt someone do to my carelessness. I have only towed the boat twice a year for the last 4 years and luckily haven't had any mishaps but I have caught myself locking the coupler over the ball. Good thing I double checked. Being a relative rookie I double and triple check my work because I'm not completely comfortable with the whole towing thing yet. I also stop after a few miles and feel the hubs. I'll check them each time I stop on my four plus hour ride to make sure they are cool. The last thing I would want would be to lose a tire at highway speeds.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I use a Master Lock on my receiver and leave it in all the time. I also use a locking pin on the trailer when towing. I don't like criminals with slimy fingers taking things that are not theirs. But that will only stop an honest thief!!

Roady68

Seaman Apprentice
I was taught that its not good practice to leave hitch in the receiver. One time we were getting ready to leave for a weekend dirt bike trip and my buddy ran his shin into the hitch. He spent the evening in pain and almost wasn't able to ride. Also, as a victim of trailer vandalism, I find it best to just not leave anything back there that someone can screw with. Most likely someone thought they were funny and took your pin. Most people have no clue they just put you and others in danger. Glad nothing more serious happened.

oldjeep

Admiral
Sounds like your buddy is a klutz ;) there are far worse things to run into if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We took our friends hitch out, put it in the box, and attached a sign that sais Assman. Yes his last name was Kramer...lol It took a week for him to find it, and yes he was pissed.....Hope he never finds out who did that..

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My receiver lifted off my ball once, it was locked. Totaled my new trucks tailgate. Lucky we were on a county road doing 30, maybe. Now I drop the wheel stand and crank it up and watch the truck rise before leaving. I still don't know how that happened. If it wasn't locked down I say it would have popped off well before being a mile down the road. Lucky no more damage was done.