Is water pump working?

Seeker

Cadet
Just started my 1977 Evinrude 85 HP outboard (model 85799S) and am not sure the temperature alarm is working. Does this unit expel water from some part of the motor or lower unit back side if the impeller is in good working condition? If not, is there any other way to tell if the engine is getting too hot in the event the alarm isn't working. And, is there a test I can run to check the alarm?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is water pump working?

You should be able to test the temp alarm by simply grounding the wire connected to the temperature switch in the cylinder head ... with the ignition switch on, of course.

If the alarm isn't working, you should be able to hold your hand on the head for at least 4 or 5 seconds without getting burned if the temperature is in the normal range.

Someone more familiar with your particular motor will need to tell you if it has a "tell tale" or not.

Bifflefan

Commander

Does this unit expel water from some part of the motor or lower unit back side if the impeller is in good working condition?

The two holes on top of the mid unit at the rear. these holes are for exhaust when idleing in the water. also they will put out a mist of water. put your hand behind them and it will get wet if the pump is working.

LiLGrady17

Seaman

There is no factory tell tale on these motors. There is a "Sticky" on here for adding a tell tale which will cost you a few bucks & a little time. I just did it & waiting on a WP kit.. I replaced my impelled last year, I had some mist out he aforementioned exhaust cutouts, and overheated 10 mins from the dock. The impeller got wasted end of last season running into some shallows, but with the mist, I thought it was still good.. Live & learn.. Take a wire, ground one end, & back probe into the sensor where the wire goes in, with the key on.. You should get a buzz.. I checked mine after the overheat..works fine..