Is this wearing properly?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is this wearing properly?

Perhaps the rotors are the right diameter.
And the pads and caliper are also correct.

And it is the axle to caliper mounting bracket that is wrong.

Looks like the pads could ride closer to the "hat" portion of the rotor/hub.

If it had a different bracket.

How many bolts does it take to bolt the caliper bracket to the axle?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you look at the wear pattern on the rotor and the corresponding wear on the pad it's easy to see that the rotors are too small. If the bracket was wrong and was not allowing the pad to ride "deeper" on the rotor it you would see a large un-worn section on the rotor. It looks like it would hit the hub if it was moved "in". Easy way to check since you have it apart- measure the face of the rotor and the face of the pad- the rotor should be much bigger than the pad face. I would guess at least a 1/2" difference. My pads sit 1/2" from the hub surface and are about 1/4" from the outer edge of the rotor. Full contact is required- anything else is wrong. If these were a kit I would definitely say improper packaging. Also, since the pads are hanging off the edge of the rotor the caliper is being twisted when applying pressure- could cause the heat/sticking as well along with the crud build up. The crud may be the excessive material being worn off the pad.

UFM82

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You do have a flexible line attached to your caliper right? Not a rigid steel line?

Also, the pads should be flush with the outer edge of the disc. I wonder if you were sent the wrong mounting brackets for the calipers causing them to be mounted outwards too far. Can you post a picture of what the assembly looks like still mounted with the wheel off?

Its also possible you have the calipers and bracket for the 13" brakes even though you have the 10" disc. The 12" and 10" models use the same caliper by the way. Is there a part number on the caliper that you can see? Yours should be a 225.

edit: I see jeeperman beat me to that last thought.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And it is the axle to caliper mounting bracket that is wrong.

?

Bingo!!! I just got off the phone with Kodiak after sending them the same pictures you've seen. He asked for a shot of the bracket also. After seeing it, he concluded that it was the wrong mounting brackets on all four wheels. So..... Somebody was asleep at the wheel when the parts were packaged. The correct ones are a tad shorter which brings the calipers in for the correct fit. I'm waiting now for an answer on who's paying for this. Hopefully, they'll cover everything I need. We'll see.

Thanks so much for all the great input. I've learned quite a bit.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kodiak specifies 'non-petroleum' grease on the caliper pins (at least they did on mine from 2006) ... ;)

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know what Kodiak says but the picture looks like wrong rotors to me....the pad should if laid on the surface of the rotor have space between the bottom edge and the "hat" of the rotor.....there should also be space above the pad to the edge.....if you set the outer pad on the rotor and that "space" does not exist all the changing of brackets in the world will not correct the issue....the bushings ride in "rubber" parts inside the caliper housing and should slide freely....that "rubber" will SWELL when exposed to petroleum lubricants causing the bushings to be even tighter and more brake problems....just saying...