Is this the right part? (U-joint bellows with rounded ridge)

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ordered the U-joint bellows to replace the old broken part. This is an OEM part #816431A 1, by Quicksilver. My boat numbers are: 1993 4.3LX/V6 serial number 0F0244564; the transom is 0F058634; the drive is 0D886515 (Alpha One Gen II).

But when I looked at the part, I realized that it is somewhat different from the old part that I removed. Namely, the old part has a rectangular ridge that goes into the rectangular groove in the bell housing. However, the new part has a rounded ridge!

It will probably fit (I can try), but I wanted to know what experts think about this. Is this a wrong part, or this is just a newer version?

I could imagine that the rectangular ridge would hold the bellows in place slightly better, but the rounded ridge would be easier to install. Can it be that Merc modified this part to favour installation?

Note: The gimbal housing has a rounded groove, and both old and new bellows have a rounded ridge on that other side, no problem. The difference is only on the bell side. Strange...

Thanks!

Last edited:

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here are the photos.

Attachments

• photo220205.jpg
    photo220205.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220206.jpg
    photo220206.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the drive was stored in the full up position but that is the correct part.

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bt Doctur,

Thanks for your responce. What the difference between the shape of the ridge means? Are you saying that the old one simply deformed over time into a perfect rectangular shape, but originally it was round, just like in the new part?

Thanks.

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just want to make sure that my question is clear: Does it mean that the rounded ridge is flattened (during the installation of the sleave, or over the time) to fill a rectangular-shaped grove?

I want to understand this before I attempt installing the bellows, and the sleave.

Thanks.

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

On these pictures I indicated where the difference is that bothers me. Flat and lower vs. round and higher. It looks like I will have to squeeze this round ridge, flatten it substantially. Is this possible at all?

Attachments

• photo220350.jpg
    photo220350.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220351.jpg
    photo220351.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I went ahead and installed it. Worked fine. Used a home-made tool. Oiled the sleeve with Power Tune (what a great stuff!). Started pushing by hands, so that it starts straight, and then used the hummer to finish. Thanks for the info.