is this is a good deal?

Garrett1992

Cadet
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/2307152474.html

says the boat is actually an apollo, which is the same mold as an albemarle. question is, is this a good deal? the floor has some type of cheap plastic stuff over it to serve as a non skid surface, i pulled it back and it looks good underneath, theres strips of wood on the floor though? i dont know why, maybe for trim or something. the transom had twin outboard brackets on it and theres huge bolt holes everywhere, how bad will this be to fill? i plan on putting a single bracket and outboard. the hull itself looks really good to me. the floor didnt appear to have any storage or anything in it though. and it has a plastic gas tank, not sure how big. the cuddy cabin looks awful, just plywood and old cushions. the floor seems solid to me from walking on it but where the inboard was someone took a piece of plywood and laid over it and put hinges on it... if i lift this up and look at the edge of the floor, it is rotten. i dont know if its just because it wasnt sealed up right there or not. the bilge area is really clean though. couldnt tell what the stringers look like theres only one access. but the fiberglass i could see looks in great shape though. im mainly concerned ill have to replace the floor and also about the holes in the transom. he said he can deliver the boat to my house for $150. no trailer, no engines. also doesnt come with any electronics, or even gauges for that matter, just voids in the dash. one thing i really like about it is the boat was just painted with awlgrip.. brand new shiny paintjob. boat is a 1978. i've heard the 24ft albemarle is one of the best. should i get it?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: is this is a good deal?

Would be a tuff one for me....no engine, no trailer, known rot in some places generally means rot in other places as well. 33 year old boat with only a little rotten wood? Very doubtfull, check it out REALLY good man. A new paint job, with the rest of the boat in that shape worries me a bit too. Look the hull over well for bad repair job under the new paint. Also, you have just a hull there, no steering or instruments, basically just a hull. Was it an I/O or Full Inboard? either way you know there has been some patching either in the hull or transom. I'd think really hard on this one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it's certainly a worthwhile project, I just can't decide if it's worth PAYING for. Does a stripped hull really have any value?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wouldn't buy it.
Maybe if it had a trailer and a motor, it might be worth it to me.

rickryder

Commander

Plenty of better boats on CL..... No trailer and no engines..... so you need 2 engines :eek: I would pass!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's How I'm thinkin. Have you ever owned a boat? Do you know how to repair them? You will Have to buy 2 motors and all the Electrical and do a minimum of 200 hrs of work and put a minimum of $2000 into this project. Let's be REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL conservative and Pay you $10.00 and hour so that's $2000. Soooooooooooooo... you Got $4,000 + the cost of 2 motors. Now......... Go look on CL for a $8,000.00 boat that is ready to go and see what you can buy.

Garrett1992

Cadet

I have owned a boat before.. Two boats in fact. I've restored both of them. The first one I had was a 1976 and I had to put in a new floor and stringers and I don't really want to do that again. I think I will pass on this, I personally believe it has a lot of hidden problems. But thanks for the replies!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I'll be right over, but you can go ahead and start without me!!!!:D