Is this boat adequately powered?

skategoat

Seaman
I'm looking at a 16.5 foot Lowe aluminum fishing boat. I think it's called a FM165S SEA NYMPH V. "Basic hull weight" is 955lbs but I gotta figure with the motor and gear, it's over 2000. Power is a 50hp Honda 4-stroke. I'm thinking this boat needs more power. Thoughts?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Is this boat adequately powered?

Aluminum boats typically need less power than a fiberglass boat of equivelant dimension. The question of adequate power can only be answered by what your expectations and projected usage will be. If you are just going out fishin' not in a huge hurry, and really really like the thought of getting great fuel economy, the 50 will be fine. If you have this all fire burning need to go as blazing fast as physically possible like in a bass boat, this is the wrong combo. Best bet, take it for a test run, bring your 250 pound buddy along, maybe a second buddy as well. If it seems to run adequately for what you want out if it, you're golden. A test run with foreseen load is the only way to know if the boat will be right for you. Good luck....

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

goat - I'm curious on how you came up with 955 lbs for a basic hull weight.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with SoLittle here...I would be surprised if that rig weighed 1000 lbs. with the motor. And a 50 would push it just fine if it were mine.

balticsea

Cadet

skategoat,<br /><br />there is a very useful tool to determine max speeds for both type of boats (unfortunately, it is in German).<br />You need to complete the tool for "gleitboot" (planing)<br />need to add "gewicht" - witght in to<br />"länge" - length - in m<br /> and you get the speed the boat makes.<br />If you want to see, if it planes, you can also fill out the form for <br />"verdrängerboot" to determine the max sped of non planing boats.<br />If the speed the "gleitboot" calculation gives is higher than the "verdrängerboot" you will begin to plane.<br /><br /> http://www.boote-magazin.de/bto/boote_artikel/show.php3?id=254&nodeid=59&nodeid=59&artikel=long <br /><br />have fun<br />(I had a 5,6 m long, 1,3 to boat also with a 50 hp merc eplt which was running 22 knots). can you do the conversions?

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 16.5 Lund (aluminum) with a 75 Mercury (max 90) and it does ok. Of course I would rather have the 90 but oh well. I would do the test run. My guess is that you'll want more HP. I get about 35MPG (GPS). That weight sounds right to me.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The 2002 model weighs approx 725#.<br />The 2003 - 2004 models weigh 955 according to Nada site.<br />(Lowe site is down).<br /> <br />FM165S SEA NYMPH V<br />Beam: 6' 10"<br />Net Weight: 955<br /><br />Plus motor 220<br />batteries 3 140<br />fuel 27 gallons 190<br />gear 100<br />people 200-500<br />plus other stuff, could easily hit the 2000 mark.<br /><br />Kindof hard to believe it is only rated at 75 hp max.( from website)<br /><br />I think the 50hp would be a poor choice.<br /><br />Only a fully loaded test drive will tell you.<br /><br />My boat is very similar, but lighter.<br />As rigged, it is 360# lighter than the Lowe would be.<br />I have a 70 hp on mine, max is 32 mph with a light load..

mattttt25

Commander

my dad has that exact boat with a 30 hp 2-stroke evinrude tiller. it runs fine with two people, but is obviously not very fast. the 50 will do fine if your looking for moderate performance.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

IMHO because you are asking this question, there is doubt in your mind. Get as much HP as you can afford. I'd pass on this one.

skategoat

Seaman

Thanks guys, the boat is at a repo dealer and they don't allow test rides. The boat looks near mint without a single mark on the hull, prop or skeg. However, I think I will be dissatisfied with the 50. Especially since I want to be able to pull the kids on tubes, etc. <br /><br />Still looking.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />HK