Is this article correct?

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"States requiring motorboat operator proof of proficiency" included in this report are puerto rico & virgen islands. It says that the following states have a '' NO BOATING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS" Arizona,Wyoming,South Dakota,and California...the rest of the 46 states have at least some sort of requirement...

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Is this article correct?

I would have to say no. Virginia has no requirements as of right now. However, they passed a law this year requiring a boating safety course. But it does not go into effect until July, 2008. Don't know about the rest of the states.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Kentucky has the following requirements for the operation of motorized vessels:
Boaters less than 12 years of age may not legally operate any motorized vessel or personal watercraft over 10 horsepower (hp).
Boaters aged 12 to 17 may operate motorized vessels, including personal watercraft, provided they have completed a safety course approved by the KDFWR and carry with them their certificate of successful completion, -OR- they are accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older or another boater who possesses a boater education card.
Only classroom based, proctored boating safety courses approved by the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources will be accepted for Kentucky's education requirements. The BoatU.S. online course does not satisfy this requirement.
There are no vessel education requirements for boaters 18 years of age or older.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

California doesn't have one but it's recommended by the DMV.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

This describes private boat operation. If you have paying passengers on board, then expect requirements everywhere.

Also, as a practical matter, size counts as well. Even in a private situation, insurance companies will not issue a policy on a large yacht unless the owner/operator is qualified.

Kelly Cook

reelfishin

Captain

NJ now requires that every boater have a coast guard safety course certificate. They implemented it in stages, first all PWC operators were required to take the coarse, all boaters are now required to have taken the test but they implemented it by age, over the coarse of a few years, with all boaters regardless of age needing it by June 1, 2009.

NJ has for as long as I can remember required a boat license for all Non tidal waters, but none for salt water and the lower portions of a few rivers.

" (NJ)MVC issues motorboat and Jet Ski licenses for use on fresh, non-tidal waters or lakes, creeks or rivers not affected by tidal conditions."

You must be over 16 years of age to obtain a boaters license. (At 13 you can operate a boat with an electric motor or a boat over 12' with a motor up to 10HP).

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Being the kind of guy that will tow his boat all over creation, if I put in at NJ or some other tough state, do I have to comply with their brand of certification? Nothing is required in my home state, except for kids.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Being the kind of guy that will tow his boat all over creation, if I put in at NJ or some other tough state, do I have to comply with their brand of certification? Nothing is required in my home state, except for kids.

There is an exemption in the new Va law:
operation by non-residents for up to 90 days if they meet the applicable boating safety education requirements of their state of residency

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Michigan they offer the Boaters Safety Course at school. My daughter Cheyenne 13 is going to take it this year.Then when we go up north this summer she can ride the wave runners by herself.She is pretty excited about it. I am also going to take the course and get my license although it is not required. It is something i want to do to learn more.I believe the course for me cost a whole fifteen bucks.Well spent.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Even though I can not express how valuable I think boating safty courses are, I'm afraid it's just going to evolve into another revinue gathering program. By the way my congressmens' brother has the only approved boating school. LOL

Nandy

Commander

In Puerto Rico you only need the license if you are operating a pwc. For any other private use you are not required. I licenced myself anyway back in the 90's.