IS this acceptable???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
good grief... no I am not "assuming" I am estimating,,,,, I happen to be very good at that and do so with sometimes hundreds of thousands of lbs on a daily basis....I am giving the best answer I can based on the info available.... Of course I don't have absolute data on weights BUT I am a long ways from "no idea"

To observe something that looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and proclaim "I see a duck" is NOT assuming..... Honestly to look at a picture of something that looks like a duck one could have a pretty good idea that it's probably a duck.

You have your belief which to the best I can figure is that you have no idea if it's ok or not...

EDIT: you posted while I was typing... multiple pics MIGHT prove it's common but they DON'T prove it's right... MAYBE a major dealer set up a bunch of them wrong... either way MY ADVICE to anyone would be to better support their boat on a longer trailer.

I just did my own quick google search and this is honestly the first thing I found:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/278844-need-help-trailer-choice-parker-2520-a.html

PB120093.jpg

PB120101.jpg

Now we have both "proven" our points......

I have my belief which is I VERY strongly believe that trailer is WAY wrong for the boat....

You don't have to agree with me on this one and I am not gonna agree with you on this one....

sooo agree to disagree

Ok now that we have that settled, let's stop arguing and go back to answering other people's questions.

This doesn't appear to be a stock trailer, it looks custom, the new boats on new trailers appeared more like what I posted.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
No doubt the boat in the original picture looks funny but I have to agree with you ondarvr. Those are all newer, very expensive boats sitting on expensive trailers. Common sense tells you the owner and/or dealer isn't gonna try and save a few dollars by scrimping on a trailer thats too small, doesn't support the hull properly, and tows like crap. It just doesn't make sense. The fact that you posted multiple picture showing similar set-ups is proof in the pudding that the boat in the initial photo is set-up properly IMHO.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
No doubt the boat in the original picture looks funny but I have to agree with you ondarvr. Those are all newer, very expensive boats sitting on expensive trailers. Common sense tells you the owner and/or dealer isn't gonna try and save a few dollars by scrimping on a trailer thats too small, doesn't support the hull properly, and tows like crap. It just doesn't make sense. The fact that you posted multiple picture showing similar set-ups is proof in the pudding that the boat in the initial photo is set-up properly IMHO.

You are my new best friend.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm no authority but as I look at that, I see the boat supported by bunks that in turn are not supported by anything. The bunks are cantilevered and are only as strong as the material they are built from. I believe wood will just warp over time so they need to be metal, of course covered by something friendlier to hulls.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
To answer the question, no it doesn't look right to me... but I guess it could be? :noidea:

I just know that I would never ever set up a trailer like that with such a valuable load and that's why it doesn't look right to me. :rolleyes:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
That setup does look odd. But look at where the cabin sits. In the pic, the cabin seems to sit way forward towards the bow. That cabin is probably quite heavy and might balance it out properly. I admit that the engine hanging off the stern like that is scary though.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
This one has twins on the bracket, probably an extra 3-400 lbs.

PB120093.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I completely agree with you as well.

We have no idea what size the bunks are. They could be 4x6 as far as we know. Since I have now seen at least 15 pictures of this type boat with the exact same setup, I would assume that people aren't having issues.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
^^^ No keel roller up front? It looks like all the forward weight rests on the winch towers bow stop or I just can't see the cross member up front.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
This doesn't appear to be a stock trailer, it looks custom, the new boats on new trailers appeared more like what I posted.

I believe the link to THT said that trailer was customized.....

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
This was an interesting excersize in guesswork, but there is no way anyone could determine the strength of the bunks behind the frame, or the center of balance of the load from any picture presented. If the bunks are weak or if the load is to far back, it's bad, If the bunks are strong and the CG allows 10% or more tongue wt it's ok. Without that info, move on, nothing to see here. If the guy raise the motor it probably wont drag.

Glenn

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PB120101.jpg

Completely unrelated, but what are those hydraulic flapper looking thingys for?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
OK....... soooo now the prevailing theory of those 'for' the trailer in question is that the boat manufacturer/dealers built or spec'd the trailers and a manufacturer or dealer would never cut corners to save money.... ROFLMAO!!!!!

This is hilarious.... I guess ALL of the threads we get here with rotten out bayliners and various boats on "original trailers" that are too short or too light trailers are all made up..... The pics of various trailers in the thread are similar but ARE NOT all the same.... some have more over hang than others... some have the axles further forward than the others.

Yes the pic and thread I posted were of a custom built trailer made specifically for that boat.... The trailer is built RIGHT to correctly support the hull and provide correct tongue weight.

Surely we can at least agree that it is a MUCH better trailer for this boat then the others in this thread... I know that if I was dropping $50k I wouldn't give a rat's rear end what trailers I could find pictured under the same boats OR what the dealer slapped together as a standard package,,, I would ABSOLUTELY have the hull supported such that in 40 years it would still be the same shape.

I guess in the end this comes down to a question of opinion.... "Is this acceptable?" to some yes, to others no....
Some people will buy anything the dealers tells them they need.... I'm not one of those people...

No I absolutely would not accept that setup...... obviously some would...... pick who you want to agree with and there you have your answer.

I am in a whole different place than those who would buy this boat new.... most couldn't care less what condition it was in after 20-30 years because they will sell/trade it for another new one in 5 years. I wouldn't even think of buying it until it's old enough to have had 3-10 owners and needs a little work to get up to snuff.... How it's supported on it's trailer over the years is MUCH more important to me than the the person who pics it up new and I am MUCH MUCH better informed about the inner structure and need for support along with the corners the manufactures WILL take than most people who buy new boats because I have spent many hours in the bowels of old boats repairing decades of problems many of which date all the way back to the manufacturing process.

PB120101.jpg

Completely unrelated, but what are those hydraulic flapper looking thingys for?

those are trim tabs... they are planes that angle down providing stern lift

64osby

Admiral
So Bob, did you have fun poking a stick in the hornets nest? See you haven't posted again.

Is it Spring yet?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
"So Bob, did you have fun poking a stick in the hornets nest?".................LOL

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
So Bob, did you have fun poking a stick in the hornets nest? See you haven't posted again.

Is it Spring yet?
HA!! it was a legit question especially since the thing has a outboard bracket and a heavy four stroke... I figured it COULD be ok, if the BUNK was made of a steel I beam, and covered....

the bunk would just be and extension of the frame... the frame over hangs the axles( the support). so if you had a super strong connection of the strong bunk to the frame...all would be ok... I don't think I would trailer the rig with the motor down though!!!...if you come out of a parking lot on a hill, youll ruin your motor.

We all seem to have barely enough trailer for our boats and we all think, "maybe' this is ok or that is ok.....but it really isn't, we just do it , to get by!

bob

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I figured it COULD be ok, if the BUNK was made of a steel I beam, and covered....
So what was the bunk made out of? I am assuming there was a reason you started this thread. You thinking about buying this?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
So what was the bunk made out of? I am assuming there was a reason you started this thread. You thinking about buying this?

the picture came up while searching for craigslist ads for a dual axle trailer....not interested in the combo...but thought the picture odd....thus the post