Is this a carb issue? Holley 4bbl, 5.8L

fireicyhott

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Four Winns 23' Sundowner 225 with an OMC 5.8L with a Holley 4 barrel. Well I have been tuning it up and have all new plugs, wires, distributor with points (gapped correctly), condensor, etc., timed, new batteries, plugs look good.

Problem is it won't rev past like 3K rpms. It's like it wants to go but won't. Boat only has 290 hours on it but was not winterized last winter and I pumped out all old gas.

The only thing left to do is have the carb rebuilt. I am thinking maybe the jets are clogged. Choke is set fine and is not stuck on. All four barrels open up but it hesitates and feels like it is missing.

I NEED FULL POWER!!! This thing is getting on my nerves.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jeff

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this a carb issue? Holley 4bbl, 5.8L

Have you changed your water separating fuel filter?.....
Checked the timing advance with a timing light that is capable of this to insure the weights are not stuck?.....
Done a compression test?......
A vacuum test can be helpful as well....
An exhaust restiction could cause it.....
A vacuum test would tell you that or pull the drive & look for a broken exhaust shutter lodged in there.....;)

Re: Is this a carb issue? Holley 4bbl, 5.8L

If you figure this one out, please let me know. I'm battling the same issue. Except I have already replaced the fuel pump and carb. My boat was also not properly winterized (previous owner). He said he did have anti-freeze pumped through. I'm stumped.

Bill