Is this a bad clutch dog and foward gear?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1964 28 hp Evinrude model 28402m that i just got, It starts and runs fine but when i give it gas in foward it wants to jump out of gear, reverse seems to be fine.. the part manual shows two different part numbers for forward and reverse gear so i take it i can not flip them like i have read some has before.. is there any thing else this could be ?? a shifter link adjustment ? could it be just the dog ? can i just flip it around ? all help is needed as i have never open a lower unit before . I have changed the water pump on my other motor so i think i would like and try to fix this as the power head seems to start and run good.............

Thanks again to all for there help on this great site....

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On this motor the forward gear and reverse can be swapped !!-----You just need to remove the bushing from forward gear and push it into the reverse gear.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well that is good news any tips for removing the bushing without damaging it ? i also need some help on dismantle of the lower unit i think this motor had the 5 inch ext on it... will it come out just like the short shaft? i am wondering about the water tube it looks like it is just pushed on in the parts manual ...

thanks racerone

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And can some one guide me to the proper way to remove the lower unit , i forget some of the stuff as it has been a few years since i did my first water pump job in my 18 hp evinrude... do i remove it in neutral ,where do i disconnect the shift rod at?? and is there any way it could be just a shift rod adjustment.........

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is all easy.---Water tube just pushes into a grommet.--No difference between working on a long or short shaft.----Not much difference in working on an 18 hp and the 28 hp.----Shift disconnects the same way !----Gear selection does NOT matter when taking the lower unit off.

Last edited:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How about the bushing removal? i cant believe there can be that much price different in the gears for a bushing? its like 250.00 difference in price??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That motor may have a shift yoke on the shift cradle. These yokes are made of soft metal and wear as you use it. Perhaps yours is worn down on the forward gear side. They are cheap to replace. Make sure you inspect yours.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????----The forward and reverse gear are the same except for the bushing / bearing set up.---Remember that the forward bushing is only used when motor is idling !--And the reverse gear goes opposite in forward and therefor it sees double the RPM.---Therefor it is a full floating bushing !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
To further explain, the reverse gear bushing is full floating--that is it spins both inside the gear and on the shaft. So it is a slip fit and slides right out. On the other hand, the forward gear bushing is a press fit in its gear. People that do this would use a arbor press to push it out and back in. People without such fancy means would use a socket as a driver and a hammer to apply force.

All this is moot if both gears are worn out. Don't be deceived, it only takes a bit of wear to make them jump. And putting a new dog with a worn gear is only temporary and will sooner or later destroy the new dog. You gotta use good judgement.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pricing of these parts ?----You must understand that wharehousing is expensive for slow moving parts on motors that were built / sold 50 years ago.----They sometimes price parts based on demand and on the demand for shelf space for spares of current production motors.----I have looked at parts prices and bought parts that were priced at $4000. but on the " clear them out list " for $ 400.---Little rhyme or reason to this sometimes.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I hope to get started on this tonight, i will try and remove lower unit and get her open for a look and will get some pics i am going to need all the help i can on this one... thanks again racerone

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think I would pull off the l.u. and test it manually first (pull up/push down shift rod, and see if gears engage normally) -- try to rule out adjustment or linkage issue. Maybe you've done that.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well here is what i did, i did just hook up my new control cables and started the engine up... i tested the throttle in neutral and all seemed good i then put it into forward gear and it did sound hard to get in to gear, once in gear i gave it some gas and that is when it started to jump out of gear, i then thought maybe the cables so i took them off and shifted by hand into gear same results, reverse seems to be ok. is the anything else it could be? and how or where will i see the wear at if it is the gear and dog? or could it be just the shift cradle?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think it's probably the new cables -- need adjustment. Disconnect the gearshift cable at the engine, and operate the shift (at the engine). If it goes in and out of gear normally, it's an issue with the remote.

Best guess is you need to adjust the shift cable connector.

Last edited:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is what i did shift it manually at the motor and it still wants to jump out of gear....

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After looking at the parts diagram i see part number 47 a thrust washer i dont recall seeing that on this motor could that be a problem ? to much play in shaft ?

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok i got the lower unit off and taken apart...I now see what you mean about a double bearing on the reverse gear racerone.. Now the good news i think and i will ask for some great advice on this... I think the clutch dog is bad on the front side and the forward gear.... the good news is that when i got the boat a few years back the guy threw in a old outboard he had sitting around... It looks to me that the gears ,shaft seals are all the same here the only difference i see is the clutch dog seems a bit smaller, what to you all think please see pics..............

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

the old gear and clutchdog

Attachments

• photo242563.jpg
    photo242563.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242564.jpg
    photo242564.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the one that came out of the motor on the left ......... the one i had from the old outboard
P4250190.JPG