Is there such a thing as Power steering on a boat with an out board engine.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
My pontoon boat is like a tank when the boat is moving.The faster I go the worse it get's.The steering is ok when I'm just setting still.It's a 90 hp Merc on a 24ft pontoon boat.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Is there such a thing as Power steering on a boat with an out board engine.

You can add hydraulic steering if you dont have it already?

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

can/ have you greased the pivot pin?
Mike

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My pontoon boat is like a tank when the boat is moving.The faster I go the worse it get's.The steering is ok when I'm just setting still.It's a 90 hp Merc on a 24ft pontoon boat.
I would think that something isn't set up right. does it steer harded one direction than the other or are both sides equally difficult? if it different one way than the other it may be prop torque if it is equal, it could be a grease thing or hydraulic steering time. what year motor and how old are the cables?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

There are several pontoon makers that offer a power steering option, I just googled a bit and couldn't find a maker but the price was around 2K so maybe a membership to the gym would be more economical.

I am with everone else, make sure your current system is working correctly before you get something new, there are several zerk fittings on the engine, make sure everything is greased up and working right, a 90 isn't that big of an engine and shouldn't be gioving you these problems, power steering is generally used on larger outboards 150 and up.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You absolutely shouldn't need it on a pontoon of that size/power. Something else is wrong in the system... Either the torque tab is really off, or pivots need some grease.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

a good friend has 24ft pontoon with 90hp merc---no issues--something is not right.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'll have the marina where it is stored for winter look at it in the spring. They did all the greasing as part of the winterization .They said everything was ok.From the look at those kit's something is way over priced.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ooops:mad:

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll have the marina where it is stored for winter look at it in the spring. They did all the greasing as part of the winterization .They said everything was ok.From the look at those kit's something is way over priced.

Get what you pay for or you can have stiff cable steering

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Teleflex SeaStar systems are the best hydraulic systems out there but there are others that are less pricey. The Teleflex units can be upgraded either at the helm or the ram and power assits units can be added to them. By themselves they are far better than cable and with the power assist it's like driving a car. They did make a BayStar unit that was not as expensive but it lacks flexibility and has some mounting restrictions.