Is there such a thing as not enough spark?

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
93' Merc 350 mag w/thunderbolt IV ignition
Is there a way to test if I'm getting enough spark? Boat wouldn't start today yet ran fine 3 weeks ago. Did some work on the trim system, then went to go for a ride and it would fire.

I made the mistake of spraying some carb cleaner in the carb with out the engine running, I've had tons of problems in the past with ignition so when it wouldn't start it's the first thing I checked.

In cranking she farted a few times...maybe 4 times in 10 minutes of cranking, I've check spark with a tester but it doesn't look like it's firing that fast.

I replaced a coil (was my problem in the past) and put a new coil-distributor wire on thinking I may have a bad wire. Still no dice.

I poured some fuel down the carb (fuel mixed w/ 2 stroke oil as it's all I had) and only got 1 fart after cranking for a minute.

Is this a fuel problem now? Or is there such a thing as not enough spark?

I have 12v at the coil when key in 'run', have not tested voltage while cranking. I could smell fuel when initially cranking however could have been the carb clean I sprayed.

Kind of at a loss right now, next things I plan on doing is removing the grey tach wire to rule out a short and put a 12v wire from battery directly to coil to rule out power while cranking.

Any other ideas would be very helpful.

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is there such a thing as not enough spark?

Anyone?

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya, I've been through those...problem is I have spark, just appears to be very faint.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

what does the sensor is the distributor look like?? old and crusty/rusty??

cap/rotor??

plugs??

fuel filters??

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll pull the cap today and check it out...cap/rotor are not very old, but that doesn't mean much on a boat.