Is there a rise in the interest of 60' & 70' boats?

adamsnez

Cadet
Re: Is there a rise in the interest of 60' & 70' boats?

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> For me, part of the pleasure of ownership of an older boat is the satisfaction gained by working on it. I enjoy the tinkering almost as much as the use. And I think The Warden likes it when I tell her I'm going to the garage to work on the boat.
this guy knows where it's at.. after me and my friend putting in around 80 hours on my '65 boat, it's that much more special instead of letting a company build your boat for you. Sad thing is now, it's all done, and nothing else to do.h

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Adamsnez,<br /><br />
Sad thing is now, it's all done, and nothing else to do
Who says you're only supposed to have just one?

dwci97

Seaman

I opened this thread and thought it was about 60' and 70' yachts, not '60 and '70 vintage classics. I think boating in general is getting more popular. I had a 15' Chrysler and sold it on ebay for a good price after a simple restoration and new paint and pinstripping. I do think that old boats especially wood boats are on the comeback.

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm restoring a 1962 Chris Craft 23' Sea Skiff (Wood). It's been a major undertaking. What keeps me going is the 360 Chrysler inboard which purrs like a kitten and memories of seeing these boats on the water. The hull exterior will look "stock" but I'm retro fitting the interior to be more spacious and functional. I'd like to get hold of an old Formula Thunderbird, but one project at a time. I guess I like anything new as long as its old.

Linc33

Seaman

<p><br />I thought I'd post my applicable boat picture to this thread. We bought this boat in July this year, boat/motor/trailer for $800 + dealer tax/prep etc. It's a 1974 Sea Sprite 15 foot fiberglass, w/ a 1974 Mercury 65 HP Outboard 3 cylinder. It has the original speedometer and tachometer. I think it's all fiberglass, no wood but I'm not sure, if anyone knows I'd appreciate any info. <br /><br />Had it tuned up at a local marina after it having sat unused for the last 10 years by its' previous late owner ($300 for all lubricants replaced/new water pump/new distributor cap). My wife and I and our 2 boys (3 yrs. and 1 yr.) just love it. We've had it out nearly every weekend since then w/out a lick of trouble. It gets up to about 34 MPH with 4 adults and the 2 boys. Had a chance to get out this past Saturday in Twin Lakes WI for one last outing before putting her up for the long winter, pic is from Saturday.<br /><br /><br />
SeaSprite10.09.2004.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oooh... nice boat. Nice buy. Don't see too many 15' bow riders. Like the look of those older Mercs.

mattttt25

Commander

maybe just too young around here, but i simply don't like the looks of older boats. but i'm also more interested in the larger, offshore types, which probably plays a part. i'll stick to the newer variety.<br /><br />but as the thread subject stated, yes, i do like 60 and 70 foot boats!

eeboater

Commander

I kind of have to agree with matttttt25... while I'm in the process of shopping for a 'new to me' boat, I have been excluding anything older than 1990. The main reason for that is because I'm intimidated by the thought of having to repair it. Now, I'm a fairly technical guy -- I run an IT Department for a living. My Geek buddies, one in particular, has rebuilt his 85' Monte Carlo.. He always tells me while sitting around the campfire that "engines were designed to be built and repaired by people who have just a high school education." His purpose in saying that was not to offend anyone (and please don't take offence if you do repair/build engines for a living, I am in no way trying to degrade your profession), but rather to point out that Motors are relatively simple pieces of equipment and they do not require incredibly vast amounts of knowledge to know how to work on them. That point is comforting to me, the idea that I probably could figure it out if I needed to is nice, but still... I know NOTHING about motors except the basics (how they operate, etc).<br /><br />In reality, I should just buy something that I can tear apart and learn how it runs. I need to "lose my virginity" when it comes to engine repair/work. I think that will take care of all my problems. Then, I would be able to buy something in the late 70's early 80's era and be more comfortable. <br /><br />After all... a boat is basically a car... with a LOT less moving parts... right?<br /><br />Sean

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I don't know, I know quite a few well educated people who look at an engine like it is a mysterious enigmatic entity, and they feel powerless in the presence of that oily smelly thing. Engines are simple things to those who are mechanically inclined. To a person who has no mechanical aptitude, it is almost impossible to teach them even basic fundamentals. I learned this as an instructor in the Army. There was a large percentage of new recruits who could not grasp basic maintenance let alone more complex mechanical issues (I taught at the M2 Bradley school). Working on engines isn't just about unbolting stuff, its about having a thorough understanding of how it works, and what symptoms leads to whatever faulty part/system. This is something that is either taught in a school or learned on your own, it is not a skill that just magically appears one day. <br /><br />Boats are much simpler than cars, and there is also a good amount of issues that present themselves that is never seen in a car. In the end, if you are willing to get your hands dirty and to blow some loot on good manuals, you will learn over time what you need to know....