Is there a boat that has what I need?

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My wife and I are boaters that just like to cruise around, hit a waterfront restaurant/bar or just anchor and listen to music. We trailer an 18 foot bow rider now and would like to continue trailering. We boat in the Mount Hope and Narragansett bays of Rhode Island, which typically sees 1 or 2 foot waves. Some days we take another couple with us. We would like a bay worthy, easily trailerable with our Ford Explorer, 3500 lbs or less (preferably around 3000) with a head. Open to suggestions. Do any boats fit those criteria. Help!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is there a boat that has what I need?

larson makes a really great deck boat. but its at 24 feet.

tough to get a head in a 18 footer.

Philster

Captain

Guessing you won't find one with an enclosed head @ the tow limit you've set.

The Rooster

Ensign

2 foot waves and a pontoon are not compatible.

I'll respectfully have to disagree with you on that one "JimS123". Depends on the toon. A 20' triple tube would fit all his requirements I believe.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like an aluminum 22-25 footer is what you need.

Keeps the towing weight down compared to fiberglass, and still handles waves well.

Maybe keep an eye out for a 25' Starcraft Chieftain with a head in the cabin.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Would help to know your price range and definition of a 'head'. Porta-Pottie? Self-contained MSD with deck pumpout? Or are you looking for the whole magilla- manual or electric toilet with raw or fresh water intake and a holding tank?

Any number of 20 foot-ish cuddies or walk-arounds are equipped with, or can be easily fitted with the first 2.

My .02

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^ What he said ^^^^

I didn't hear much about water sports, so I was thinking a walk around too. Just enough of a cuddy for when "ya' just gotta go" and a nice deck for hanging out, enjoying the scenery and cruising. Not to mention those boats are designed to handle plenty of rough water. You'd probably find the OB's a little lighter to meet your towing needs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Since you are in open salt water and fairly cold at that, move up to a deep V hull with a higher bow and some flare to it.

Cuddy/walk-around if you need a cabin for the head. Outboard, absolutely, to compromise for the lost space taken by the cabin. PLus they are just better!

If you and your crew are small enough, look at the step-in center and dual consoles that can hold a small portable head. But it will be hard to get an enclosed head in your weight class. Look at Sea Chaser; I understand they are light for the size but I could be wrong. But they are roomy.

You dio not want a deck boat or pontoon where you are.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate all of the comments so far and thought I should add a little more detail to my original post. I do not really like pontoon boats and feel they aren't really good in the 2 footers we often see. I am okay with any length boat, but want to keep the weight down, possibly 3500 lbs. As far as the head requirement, a porta potti in a console or small cuddy is fine....I won't use it but we do have guests who would not like the bucket method and I have 2 daughters who join us occaisionally. I was hoping to find either a small cuddy, a light weight walk around, dual console or center console with the small porta potti. I am looking for used, not new (college expenses are killing me right now), no more than 25K. Stingray has a small light cuddy 205cx that fits the bill but I almost never see one for sale. Sea Hunt makes a small dual console that also seems elusive on the used boat front. Still looking for help.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your problem is the $3500 tow limit. Are you including the trailer and all equip onboard within that tow limit? I will say, a used Wellcraft V20 with an O/B will fit your weight and budget needs as well. They are very versatile and handle chop very well relative to the size of the boat. I have seen them outfitted for leisure and I have seen others (like my old one) that are decked out for hardcore fishing. Tons of them out in the Raritan Bay over here, which regularly sees 2' + waves. I used to tow mine with a Nissan Frontier easily.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One more clarification. The weight limit I listed does not include the trailer. My Explorer is rated for 5300 lbs total, so I am thinking 3500 lbs for the boat/motor/fuel is about max. I will check out the Wellcraft V20's. I had a friend years ago who had a v20 steplift that was built in the 80's. He actually dropped a 454 into it that ruined it with all of the weight in his quest for speed. I would like something newer though, possibly a 2000 or newer. I will look to see how long Wellcraft made that V20.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the reason you can't find what you want, used, is that you are now looking for a popular model that people hang on to. It proves that the model is best suited for your boating environment. The ones you see lots of, didn't work out so well.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more clarification. The weight limit I listed does not include the trailer. My Explorer is rated for 5300 lbs total, so I am thinking 3500 lbs for the boat/motor/fuel is about max. I will check out the Wellcraft V20's. I had a friend years ago who had a v20 steplift that was built in the 80's. He actually dropped a 454 into it that ruined it with all of the weight in his quest for speed. I would like something newer though, possibly a 2000 or newer. I will look to see how long Wellcraft made that V20.

Check here http://www.wellcraftv20.com/community/index.php?

I think they stopped building the hull in the mid 90's. That hull lasted well over 20 years in design, it was really a great hull for a boat that size. I would stick to outboards if you do look into them, and try and find one that is powered with a newer engine. Mine was a 1976 hull with a 1997 Johnson 130HP. That boat was a dream, but I wanted to go offshore more which is why I upgraded to a bigger boat.

oldjeep

Admiral

2 foot waves and a pontoon are not compatible.

I disagree as well. Even a 2 tube pontoon handles pretty well in high waves. I'd rather have our 21ft pontoon in 2ft waves than my 19ft bowrider.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I disagree as well. Even a 2 tube pontoon handles pretty well in high waves. I'd rather have our 21ft pontoon in 2ft waves than my 19ft bowrider.

And I'd rather have my 13' whaler than either. Your assessment is true, but it shows the hierarchy of seaworthy boats, starting at the bottom (bowrider) and only moving up one notch (pontoon). I guess bass boats would be down there, too. Not to say those 3 models aren't fine for smooth lakes and rivers, but that's not the question.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's not been my experience. Its not a matter of safety, but of comfort. My 19' Bowrider handles 2'ers just fine, and I have no issues. very dry and comfortable. But the 27' Toon my neighbor owns is a bear to drive because it plods along too slow (only a 120 HP) and the waves frequently come over the deck.

I'm not a hater of toons. I am just providing an opinion re. the conditions the OP is faced with.

Moot point anyway - asked and answered - the OP said he didnt like them.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Didn't Trophy make an 18' walkaround in the past? I think SeaSwirl did also.

Yeah, here's the Trophy I was thinking of:

http://www.trophyfishing.com/archive.asp?modelid=34857

I understand the desire for a boat like you are talking about. A good all around cruising boat that isn't huge but can still work in less than ideal conditions and provides some amenities....like a head.

I know this next suggestion may not be what you are looking for, however, if you are considering a walk around take a look at this:

http://www.c-dory.com/