is my starter bad?

dppham

Cadet
merc 1985 inline6

i been trying to get this motor to run and one problem after another.

it cranked good first 100 times i tried to start, i guess i over cranked it this time. now when i try to start it it turns a hair and dies. the starter is getting power and i have a new batt. no corr. i touched the starter and its very hot. it sounds like a tug and quits. i hope nothing else is locked up.
anyone on advice to test starter?

can a boat start with 5 cyclinders?
i had one plug off by accident and it almost started.

i been messing with idle needle turning it 1 1/2 out on a seated needle.
anything beyond 1 1/2 would be bad?

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: is my starter bad?

You may have to pull the starter and see if the brushes are clogged. Dust from the brushes can build up around them and cause them to not make a good contact on the armature. Second, the motor will start on 5 but that can cause a fouled plug. Why did you have the wire off? There are three things a motor needs to run. Fuel, compression and spark. Have you verified all three?

dppham

Cadet

Its not the starter. I pulled it off and did a bench test. Im giing to try replaceing the terminals for the batterie.

I hav spark.
Whats the best.way to test fuel. Feul is spilling out when I raise the motor

The reason why I had the plug off was tesying spark and forgot to, plug wire in. didnt notice it till I raised the motor

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

If you leave a plug disconnected for an extended period of time, your coil for that cylinder will melt down. That energy has to go somewhere and it is usually out thru the side to ground.

Maybe your solenoid is bad, you can jump across it if you're brave and see if it turns over.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

your starter may spin just fine on a bench test while not under load but under load it will show the same signs as it did before.

As Wingedwheel said.. you should pull it apart and clean it.. New brushes etc.. it is simple and cheap.

dppham

Cadet

well when i put the starter back on, and plugged batterie back up. the connecter and wire for positve and negative both look bad. imma go ahead and replace that first then. i'll try to bypass the solenoid., if these dont work i'll take off the starter again.

if i was to replace brushes or find a rebuild kit. i might as well buy a new one for 120 shipped off feebay.

on the flywheel i should be able to turn it freely right? it takes quite a tug to get it to move. is it dangerous to rotate it clock and counter clockwaise.
\

oh and bypassing the4 solenoid does the key have to be in? its not going to burn anything up is it

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually you're not bypassing the solenoid, by jumping it you bypass the ignition switch. If the terminals are bad, that would be a good place to start.Thats a big motor and it will take a tug to get the flywheel to move. How long since the engine was last run? You might want to put a small amount of oil in the cylinders to help free things up if its been a long time since it ran. There is a sticky at the top of one of these forums that tells you the proper procedure to awaken a sleeping engine. See if that helps.

dppham

Cadet

cool i'll look for it.

but i went ahead and replace the terminals. and bypas the ignition switch. it seems like the engine is still locked up or the starter isnt turning it strong enough. its a new bat. trim goes up and down fast, so i know i got power.

when i tested the starter it felt strong, i dotn knw how to take it apart.

when i turn the flywheel manually it feels tuff.

when i turn the key it turns like one or two teeth on the starter