Is my outdrive still good?

chris0109

Recruit
I have a 96 maxum with a seized 4.3L mercruiser. How would i go about telling if the outdrive is still good working condition or would that be shot as well? Is there a way to test it without turning the motor over? or is it good if the propeller spins freely?

THanks for the help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Is my outdrive still good?

The prop spinning free only tells you the propshaft is not seized. The first thing I would do is pull the drive off and make sure you can turn the yoke, with it in both forward and neutral. I would then pull the top cover off and have a good look at the drive and driven gears. Also, why has the engine seized?

Chris.........

chris0109

Recruit

The prop spinning free only tells you the propshaft is not seized. The first thing I would do is pull the drive off and make sure you can turn the yoke, with it in both forward and neutral. I would then pull the top cover off and have a good look at the drive and driven gears. Also, why has the engine seized?

Chris.........

I will have to pull it off this weekend and check. I know the yoke and how to pull it off but not 100% to sure how to put it in forward and neutral position when its out. Any help on how to identify that part or is it quite easy once i pull it off.
Engine is seized due to not winterizing from previous owner/ my boss' son. The boat sat uncovered and unwinterized for 3 years before i took it, I took it to have as a little project then ended up not wanting to do the project anymore.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Once the drive's off you just need to turn the shift shaft, real easy. I should have said forward and REVERSE....

If you're over the project, ship it to me... I'd be happy to take it on... :D :D

Chris.....

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I will have to pull it off this weekend and check. I know the yoke and how to pull it off but not 100% to sure how to put it in forward and neutral position when its out. Any help on how to identify that part or is it quite easy once i pull it off.
Engine is seized due to not winterizing from previous owner/ my boss' son. The boat sat uncovered and unwinterized for 3 years before i took it, I took it to have as a little project then ended up not wanting to do the project anymore.

It's always a shame to hear about that kind of abuse. Sorry. But to answer your question on how to shift it once you have removed the drive. Put your hand on the cavitation plate of the drive and follow it around to to the very font of the drive you will see a small metal finger (shift shaft) sticking straight up and then bending 90 degrees facing forward. Turn it to one side for forward middle for neutral and the other side for reverse. The prop will lock in different directions to confirm it has shifted from forward to reverse.

chris0109

Recruit

Once the drive's off you just need to turn the shift shaft, real easy. I should have said forward and REVERSE....

If you're over the project, ship it to me... I'd be happy to take it on... :D :D

Chris.....

i doesnt sound to hard to locate. I watched a few videos on you tube and just wanted to make sure i knew what you were talking about.
That'll be a hefy shipping bill to ship it to you haha
I put the boat on Craigslist for $200 and noones even offering me $100 for it. so i came to the conclusion i might as well take it apart and sell it in pieces, if the outdrive is good thats worth more than the $200 im asking for it, plus all the other items on it that someone might be looking for.

Thanks for the helpful info

chris0109

Recruit

It's always a shame to hear about that kind of abuse. Sorry. But to answer your question on how to shift it once you have removed the drive. Put your hand on the cavitation plate of the drive and follow it around to to the very font of the drive you will see a small metal finger (shift shaft) sticking straight up and then bending 90 degrees facing forward. Turn it to one side for forward middle for neutral and the other side for reverse. The prop will lock in different directions to confirm it has shifted from forward to reverse.

Yes it definatly is a shame to see the boat in this condition. I wish i couldv'e actually done this project but after looking into getting a new motor it wouldnt be worth it in the end after adding all the dollars and cents up. Thanks for the helpful info as well. Im pretty positive i know the piece your talking about. Thanks again