Is my 1987 Johnson 140 cooked?

bayprowler

Cadet
I've just replaced a bunch of parts on my engine: stator, regulator/rectifier, lower unit & driveshaft, rebuilt carbs with new carb kits. The engine has always run well with some stalling at idle, but otherwise very dependable. Now it is hard to start and won't stay on below 2000 rpm. I thought this was a timing issue but I can't check timing due to it stalling out below 2000 rpm. Not sure what to do here, any suggestions?

cannonfodder

Seaman
Re: Is my 1987 Johnson 140 cooked?

Advance the timing and see if it refuses to start or will idle would be my next move

bayprowler

Cadet

should I advance it in 1 degree increments and restart/recheck every time I take a turn on the timing screw? (obvioulsy I've never played with timing before)

cannonfodder

Seaman

I'm not an expert either but that seems like a good approach. If it helps advance it more until it doesn't and then retard it a couple of degrees. If you are successful take it to the dealer and have them set the timing the right way to avoid engine damage

daselbee

Commander

It doesn't have to be running to check the timing. A fact most don't consider.
Leave plugs out, crank at starter speed, idle timing should be within 4 degrees of the specified value.
When running, then go back in and get it perfect.

same can be done with the WOT timing. This is basically the "Joe Reeves method". Setting the timing without the engine running.