Is it worth restoring

Triton II

Commander
A friend of mine has asked me to ask the Evinrude experts on iboats if the little 'Rude he owns is worth getting going again.

This is what he says:

"it's a...

Model No: 5802E

Serial No: A35589

Eng No: A0035589

It's an Evinrude ?Angler? 5, and from my limited research online, it appears to be a 1968 year model. It really is a lovely old (slow) thing.

I popped the cover off and everything looks pretty good on the outside, apart from the small plastic piece on the pull start which has a section of the top of it broken. But it still works. So will just need this little part. I have both halves.

Ideally I think the carb will need cleaning for sure, and as you said a compression test and a good overall service (and I guess rebore if necessary, lube and adjust everything). It was definitely running last time I used it, but we are talking three or four years ago.

Do you think it's worth the effort and how good is parts availability?"

What do you guys think?

TII

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it worth restoring

Parts availability should not be a problem. Basically the Angler 5 is a detuned 6 with a very simple lower unit. It has no neutral and you turn the motor 180 degrees for reverse. They were produced 1965 through 1968. They were dropped for 1969 when the old 3 was boosted to 4 horsepower. Is it worth restoring? Well it is not like it is a hot collector motor but it is a nice and simple motor. I would say it is worth restoring if you don't have to dump a ton of cash into it.

Triton II

Commander

Thanks for your fast reply TN. Advice on online parts suppliers who ship internationally and a downloadable parts manual would be great.

TII

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

By restore, are you aiming to return it to general service or make a sawhorse queen for the den? If compression is good, then no rebore will be necessary - even if you could find oversize pistons and rings, a rebore is likely going to cost more than it would take to buy a parts motor with a good powerhead. As was noted, the 5hp shares the same powerhead with the 6hp, with the only real difference being the 5 had the reed stops closed up a bit.

Triton II

Commander

The aim is to make the poor old thing (I've seen how he treats his car!) a general service motor on his little tinny. Chinewalker, what's a good compression figure for one of these? Thanks,

TII

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Triton, sorry about dropping off the face of the earth regarding your post.

As far as the usual consumable parts for your Angler, going with Sierra parts or OEM Evinrude parts should be as easy as pie. You can get Sierra parts through i-boats, or check though any Evinrude dealer local to you for the OEM & Sierra stuff. To check an online parts catalogue directly from Evinrude, go to shop.evinrude.com . If you need to replace the carb float you will need to go with the OEM Evinrude parts. I just bought a kit for my Evinrude 4 and the float is ethanol-resistant plastic rather than ethanol-intolerant, dope-sealed cork.

I notice you are from the eastern coast of Australia. G?Day, mate! Is this motor going to be used in salt water then? In that case I highly recommend replacing the water pump housing with a heavy-duty chrome plated brass water pump housing, still available through Evinrude as part # #382076.

Being a fully jeweled motor, your 5 can safely run on a 50:1 fuel mix. My newer 4 is supposed to run on the same, but evidence strongly suggests running on 24:1 for my 1971 4-horse.

Compression numbers can vary with gauges and also rope-puller (your) strength, so hard & fast numbers can be misleading WRT compression. I would say that a small displacement motor with a manual starter might not see numbers higher than 70 psi. What is more critical is a low variance between the 2 cylinders, something like 10% maximum. If the numbers are too low it might indicate a head gasket problem, but it also might only be gummed up rings that can improved upon with the ?miracle in a can? Seafoam. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

Triton II

Commander

Thanks Cam, great advice, my mate really appreciates it and is going to go for the H-D housing as it is for salt water use. Should be a great little motor once he's got her going. Cheers,

TII